Mother giving me tinnitus!

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mother is directly causing me tinnitus! Our washer is directly under my bedroom and its so loud that I have ringing after every use.. even worse my mother seems to see the need to have it on all day every day. I can't take this noise for much longer its driving me crazy. On top of that every time someone in our house or next door turns on a tap.. The pipes make a whistling noise that is also painful to me after a while.. the mix of these 2 noises is literally driving me crazy.. I can't sleep, I have constant headaches... and now I'm starting to get a constant high pitched hiss whenether everything is quiet. I've tried talking to her but she ignores every word I say its like she either doesn't care or just thinks its not important! I'm even considering smashing the washing machine up! I'll be out of this place as soon as I can but until then it would be lovely to get some advice on how to deal with it until then!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

So sorry to hear you are suffering and not getting the support you need.  I have tinnitus, vertigo and migraine.  The noises from the tinnitus is constant, a high pitched noise and a humming 24/7.  I cope because I have the support of those close to me.

Try showing your mum some of the posts on this Forum, then she might understand what suffers go through.  Try not to do anything that would result in stressing you further as that will only make your problem worse.  Maybe you could play some soothing music to help you relax!

• Posted

I only notice it when things are quiet but ive spent the last 10 years or so learning to work with audio and I really need to keep my hearing intact for this. Ive noticed the last week or so when everything is quiet that its like I still have the faint sound of the washer/ tap pipes running through my head.. its almost like a static sound that old tv's used to get.. .. like a really high pitch hissing. Ive never had this before and I'm quite worried that it will affect my ability to work with sounds.. so I'm really looking to prevent further damage or possibly cure or lessen the damage I already have rather than mask what is already there.
  • Posted

are you able to use soft ear plugs /or those headphones that block out any sound at all . if your thinking of moving soon then this may help till you can .
    • Posted

I wear headphones most of the day, they do block out sound and I tend not to notice the noise if I have something playing but it seems the sound is still affecting my ears. I don't think masking it out is gonna prevent further hearing damage. Il certainly get some ear plugs when I get a chance though. Thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

This! I think its this is a strong cadidate to what has been causing it.. I think me getting angry at the washing machine is just a byproduct now... Ive been an insomniac for a while now and that makes perfect sense.. I don't notice any noise when I've been up for a few days but everything is sort of distorted anyway.. I hope that if that is the case the damage isn't permanent. Ordered some melatonin to aid with sleep.. will possibly need soemthing stronger.. will see how it goes.
  • Posted

I understand the sounds you describe!  I don't know what started my tinnitus but I spent most of my younger working years as an audio typist/secretary and perhaps this was a contributer.  I've heard that many DJs and musicians suffer from tinnitus but they are still able to continue.  Hopefully, it will be the same for you in your profession.

I too notice mine more when it is quiet but it doesn't go away.  As I'm writing this I've got the hissing and the louder vibrating notice (like a motor). I used to think the motor sound was coming from the fridge or from something in the environment and I would ask other people around me if they could hear it.  It was when I still heard it when I was away from home that I realised it was coming from my head. It is quite an odd thing to come to terms with but after so many years I've become more used to it.

Good luck with everything!

• Posted

That does sound similar. Thing is my ears are really sensitive too.. I don't think I have damage when it comes to picking up sounds.. its just these noises that shouldn't be there irritating me. I have experienced ear ringing at times in 1 or both ears for whatever reason and this is different.. its like you can't give it a pitch like you can with the ringing sounds.. its more like white noise or static from old tv's except it sounds really solid if that makes sense and sort of rumbling when it gets bad.. feels like my ears are blocked too. I remember when I was a kid I used to get really bad wax build up and when I was made to do singing practice in school I hated it because I could hear myself sort of echoing in my blocked ear.

Thanks for the warm words.

• Posted

WASHER ???
    • Posted

The washer and dryer downstairs iin my house are both really loud and set off my tinnitus.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.