Mothers TIA in 1999, symptom relieved by draining pints of blood?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I dont know where to start really so going to just jump in.

My mum had a TIA back in 1999. Her main symptom at the time was complete loss of balance. MRI/CT? showed it to be a TIA. She was in hospital for almost 3 weeks. She had hypertension since my birth after pre-epampsia (over 25+ years before this point)

While she was there she was assessed as having "too much blood" and the decision was made to draw some to see if it would make any difference. So minus 3 pints of blood over a few days, she was a lot better. Weak, tired but her balance literally improved as the pints were removed.

I cant ask her as she died in 2007 in short due to heart, lung and kidney failure.

I am now facing a myraid of health difficulties myself so am trying to work out what might be relevant to me to seek full information in advance of my consultants appointments.

Thanks for any help in advance

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Has anyone else heard of this as a treatment, is "extra" blood in the system a common thing? Can anyone advise please?

I am now facing a problem which stems from how I regulate BP and Im wondering if pressure on BP and possibly "too much blood" could be a factor which I have inherited.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.