Motivation

Posted , 2 users are following.

My motivation has been super bad following on from my bout with depression. I find myself coming into work late and making mistakes

Is this normal, I'm a hard working individual but my depression did sick the life out of me a bit

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Lack of motivation is a symptom of depression and anxiety. When the other symptoms make it hard for you to do day to day things such as work it's only natural to lose motivation for these activities. I'm in the same boat myself..Can't work or do uni work because I find it so hard and feel like I'm only going to fail if I try. It's so fustrating because like you I have a strong work ethic and it's easy to feel like I'm being lazy. But you have to go easy on yourself and remember that you haven't been well. Just take it day by day and remember that even just being in work is an achievement when you're feeling like this!

The rest will follow. Are you on any medication at the moment? Does your employer know that you've been experiencing depression?

• Posted

I found this really useful glad I'm not alone.

Yes I'm on meds.

I've wanted to chat to my manager but I'm scared they will judge me for it.

X

• Posted

I had the same situation but honestly it's best your manager knows so they understand why you haven't been performing as well in work. I rang mind info line who have great advice on legislations that protect you from being discriminated against by your employer, as well as this they have a template for you to write a letter to your employer explaining what's been going on.

It's a huge step and not everyone is understanding but if they aren't that's their own ignorance and there is legislation out there to protect you.

All the best

X

• Posted

Also I forgot to say that it might be worth getting a fit note or letter from your gp explaining what's been going on and any adaptations that can be made in the workplace to make it easier for you, such as not getting cautioned for being late in the morning and that sort of thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.