Motorcycle accident. Coming up on surgery, need advice.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Little less then two weeks ago while riding my motorcycle, my back wheel locked up  in a wide turn going about 50 mph. It caused me to high side and threw me onto the pavement, landed on my left side. I broke my clavicle completely in half and it has narrowed my left shoulder. I also fractured my elbow in 2 spots,  fractured a couple Carpal bones, and broke 3 right fingers including my thumb. Including some pretty nasty road rash. Minor injuries, seeing the other motorcycle injury posts on here.  But I had a couple questions on the recovery, If anyone has had similar breaks. 

The main one; Doc says most likely I will need surgery and to be plated on the Clavicle. At first he was optimistic it could heal on its own as I’m 21 and “young” , but the bones aren’t joining yet. So we are moving towards the surgery. How complicated is this surgery? As It is pretty close to the neck, some major arteries and nerves. Is it something I could go without being put under?

Also, is it common to not have any pain? Since breaking it. I have not had an ounce of pain medication. I have a little bit of pressure when moving my shoulder, but no pain. My wrist and fingers are pretty sore, but nothing like I thought a bone break would be. 

Lastly; My elbow swelling is gone but I cannot extend my arm all the way, maybe about 70%. Have I damaged some internal ligaments of the elbow? And does that heal?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

So very sorry to hear of your unfortunate motorcycle accident. You really slammed the pavement hard. At that speed your lucky nothing serious happened. I was in a similar accident in a coma for three weeks & husband was killed. I don't ride motorcycles since. It took me a year to learn everthing over again, like walking, reading spelling my name . I hope you are thinking about not getting back on one again. We rode for 15 years and never had one accident. Then.... it only takes one idiot on the road to cause a accident.

Take care and I and wish you all that you need on your road to recovery!

Ask if the doctor can do a bone graft to help the clavicle heel, or if a plate or screw in the clavicle can be removed once the bone has healed. 

Cheers

Hope

• Posted

Sorry about that, here some tips.

1. Gain a complete understanding of the surgery and recovery process.

2. Get your entire health checked out. 

3. Dial in your exercise and nutrition.

4. Kick your addictions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.