Mouth issues and Chronic Fatigue

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have suffered with CFS since 2001.  This illness has robbed me of my life.  I have had to give up a job I loved, have become socially recluse and my house is a mess.  I am wondering how others cope when their world is falling apart.  I am open to anything that will help with the fatigue.

In addition to being totally exhausted, I am having weird problems with tongue.  The edges of my tongue  tingle, the roof of my mouth is inflamed, and the inside of lip is blistered.  Does anyone else gets this with a relapse?  

I am am currently taking an anti-viral, Celebrex, Soma  and pain relievers.  Couple that with vitamin b-12 and vitamin d.  Nothing is helping.  Open to your ideas.  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I too went through all of this and now I am back to leading a normal life. How did I do it, by pacing.

its akin to learning to walk again, trouble is we all do too much. You can't run a marathon without training and it's the same when you have suffered from Cfs for a long time. I thought I would never cycle again, but after three years of pacing, rode sixty miles at the weekend

pacing involved lots of saying no, and actually sitting around doing nothing which is very hard, but for me it worked. The trick is to do very,very little to start with Andy build up slowly. 

Best of luck

• Posted

Hi Debbie

?I've had ME/CFS for over 20 years and had to give up my job too. I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. There are things you can try that might help. I've had mouth problems too and have tried various things to help. What did you doctor say could be the cause of it? It could be an infection or a vitamin deficiency in iron or vitamin B12. You can blood tests done to check this. Another cause could a lack of zinc in your diet. I took a zinc supplement when I was found to be deficient in zinc and found it helpful. Another thing that causes mouth problems which is linked to the menopause (not sure if this would be relevant to you as I don't know your age!) is something called burning mouth syndrome which I developed last year although it's now improving. With this condition you should avoid alcohol based products and could try changing your toothpaste to a sodium laurel sulphate free one which is gentler on your mouth. Also drink plenty fluids.

?I've found that your diet is really important when you have ME/CFS. Try and have plenty fruit and vegetables, protein and wholegrains. I've found sweet potatoes, oats (porridge for breakfast or oatcakes as snacks) and brown rice in particular seem to improve my energy levels. I've recently started taking a flaxseed and nut blend which also has co-enzyme Q10 (good for energy levels and gum health) in it and feel that it is definitely helping me as my brain fog isn't as bad, I have a bit more strength in my muscles and my mouth isn't so dry. Think I was lacking in omega 3 fats before.

?The other things I've found helpful for energy levels are pacing and doing guided meditations to relax me when I'm tired. Also walking and remedial yoga when I'm able to do it. I've found the best way to tackle the housework is just to do a little bit at a time and accept that my house is never going to be perfect. My health is more important than a tidy house! 

?Regarding the feeling isolated you could maybe see if there are any local CFS/ME groups in your area where you can meet other people for support. Or could you maybe try and see if there are any neighbours you could get friendly with? You might find there is someone else living nearby with health problems too who might like to have a chat. This forum is a good place for advice and support. Keeping a diary of what makes you feel better or worse might be helpful too.

?Will go now as my reply is turning into an essay! Try and stay positive - you are not alone.

Elaine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.