Mouth pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

My sypmtoms started five years ago when i had a stabbing pain in my left ear. GP thought it was this & told me go to my dentist to check pain wasnt connected to my teeth. Dentist ruled this out- anyway the pain disappeared mostly until earlier this year when it came back- this time however its much worse- pain now starts in my chin or jaw & then goes into my teeth & gums - i would describe it like the pain you get from dentist needle when having a filling - this goes on for up to half an hour then goes off & i am usually left with a pounding headache in my temple- always on the left side. Recently i have also encountered a numbing feeling on the left side of my face- this is all very worrying- Apart from the cold/wind etc this can happen anytime even at work or sitting at home in the war

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You need to see a neurologist ASAP. I went for 6 years not knowing what the problem was until I was referred to a neurologist. The neurologist will likely have an MRI done and I suspect you will be put on a course of medication like gabapentin and/or carbamazepine. The carbamazepine brought my symptoms under control very quickly and is all some people need. In my case, the neurologist had to keep increasing the dose until I hit 1,200 mg per day. This left me in a complete fog - I was unable to drive or ride my bicycle. Plus, the carbamazepine was not as effective as last year. I elected to have surgery, which I had last week - I had Microvascular decompression just this week and so far I would say it is a success.

One other point. Trigeminal Neuralgia affect something like 1 in 10,000 people. Your symptoms (particularly the pain in your ear) says to me that you may have Glossopharyngeal neuralgia. Trigeminal neuralgia related to the 5th nerve and Glossopharyngeal neuralgia relates to the 9th nerve. From my reading treatment options are similar between the two. In my case, I actual have Glossopharyngeal neuralgia. It affects something like 1 in 120,000 people. In any event, both are rare. My wife was a family doctor for more than 30 years and never saw a case of either - this again leads me to you seeing a Neurologist.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply which was most helpful.

I have today been to see my GP who is referring me to a neurologist & in the meantime for a MRI scan.

I really hope you are ok following your procedure.

Thank you

• Posted

i managed to get an MRI Scan last Thursday as there was a cancellation- i am now waiting for the results from this- the scan was not so bad but what i was told would take 20 mins turned out to be closer to an hour as the doctor wanted to put dye in my blood & i had to ho back in- this has now got me scared & just want to know the results. The pain is still there most days, sometimes not quite so bad but its still niggling away.

My GP is referring me to a neurologist but this could take weeks- a waiting game......

• Posted

I have had these symptoms for 7 years and still on going leftside lip numbness shooting pains in chin /jaw there not to painful but the numbness scares the life out of me I can go weeks without it then it returns and bang I'm a mess again all I get is its anxiety I'm sick of it and it also affects my tongue at times

• Posted

Hi ,

Can you tell me what medication you are taking,

I have seen my doctor today so hope i can get to the bottom of this problem as he is sending me for MRI scan & referring me to a neurologist.

Hope you are seeking help.

• Posted

hi I'm glad there doing something I'm on no medication nor have I been referred to a neurologist my dentist requested the mri for me 7 years ago as my doctor put it down to anxiety thats all I've heard for all them years I've been so bad with mine over the past 2 weeks thinking ms brain aneurysm all sorts not been able to get out my house due to how bad its affected me this time I really hope you get answers

• Posted

please go back to your practice see another doctor - you should not have to put up with this- i know how excruicating the pain can be at times- demand to be referred to a neurologist - they cant stop

you- you need answers & like me want to know

why/what is causing this pain - its horrendous!

do it!!

• Posted

I'm so glad to have found your comment! For the past year I've had a tingling lower lip, on and off, on the right side, and a feeling of slight numbness on my chin and jaw. Then I noticed a weird achy pain that would come and go in my face and most recently it has moved to

my chin. Yesterday and today I've had a tingly feeling, barely noticeable but it's there, in my lower right gums.

The pain is weird. It's never excruciating, more of a tooth ache type pain but in the lower part of my face. I've been terrified of what it could be. I've found some

really scary stuff and I can't stop my anxiety every time this happens. I'll go for weeks without feeling any of the tingling or pain, but then it comes back and I freak out all over again, to the point of tears.

• Posted

hi have you had any tests done? I've had a mri 7 years ago but nothing else

• Posted

I had brain MRI, neck and soft tissue MRI, a CT of my brain without contrast, and bloodwork that all came back normal. I have mixed connective tissue disease but my last rheumatologist said that wouldn't be the cause of all of this.

• Posted

I had an MRI scan just last week & this has come back normal.

I am now waiting to see a neurologist but this could be after Christmas now- I was really relieved nothing sinister came back, from the scan, however the pain has been awful the last few days

• Posted

Sorry to hear it's gotten WORST! But Girl to save you alot of time GET THE SURGERY!! BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE! DR. JOHN LEE PENN MEDICINE IN PHILLY gave me my life back!!! wish I wouldnt have waited 3 years of agony! I was up and walking around in 2 days like nothing happened! hes done over 500 mvd procedures and he was the protege of the man who invented THE MVD TECHNIQUE . Girl trust me call this man he is a gift from God!......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.