Mouth sores after taking Methotrexate

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been plagued with sores on my tongue ever since I started taking Methotrexate. My doctor warned me about this and I asked her at the time if I would be more prone to it since I have burning mouth syndrome. She didn't think so. Here's my question. Have others had this problem and solved it by taking the med by injection? I have appointment with my Dr in two weeks and will talk with her of course but want to bounce this off of all of you first.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You ARE on folic acid as well aren't you? To be taken on days you DON'T take the mtx. If the dose you start on isn't enough - you need more. 

• Posted

Are you taking Folic Acid?  If not, your GP should prescribe it  to help offset this side effect whilst on Methotrexate.  Also, do try to avoid toothpastes containing SLS and those containing Triclosan.  I recommend Sensodyne.  Wine can also aggravate the situation in some people.
    • Posted

Since I have burning mouth syndrome I can't tolerate strong mint flavor that is in most toothpaste so I get mine from the health food store. I checked and it says it does not contain SLS. But there is no mention at all of Tricloscan. So it either isn't in it or there isn't enough in it for them to have to list it. And as for the folic acid I am taking 1mg daily. Someone told me the other day that that was probably not enough.

• Posted

It obviously isn't if you are getting mouth ulcers - most people I've heard speaking about it take more than that.

• Posted

I take prescribed Leucovorin Calcium 5mg once a week.  Doctor said if I didn't that I'd get mouth sores. 

• Posted

Interesting. I'll have to ask my doctor about that. I take a calcium supplement but I'm assuming this is different in some way?

• Posted

"Leucovorin is a reduced folic acid. Leucovorin is used in combination with other chemotherapy drugs to either enhance effectiveness, or as a "chemoprotectant."

• Posted

Yeah I looked it up after my reply. So I just called my rheumatologist and they're gone for the week and their message said if I had any questions that couldn't wait to ask my GP. LOL. So I called my GP and am waiting on a reply. Ooh I know I could have waited until after the new year but I just wanted to make sure I'm safe to take more folic acid with all the other drugs I'm on.

• Posted

After I read the side effects, the first thing I did was get off it. Beyond that, I found no positive benefits to Methotrexate.
  • Posted

I've been on MTX for just over a year now. Right from the start I was taking 15mg of folic acid for the three days following my MTX dose. No side effects from the MTX that I'm aware of other than being able to lower my pred dose dramatically - which was of course, the raison d'être!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.