Mouth Ulcers

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have an underactive thyroid and I keep getting terrible mouth ulcers that take weeks to go and are extremely painful, does anyone else have this problem and are there any cures?.

I use the ususal remedies which give temporary relief ut they are getting me down doctor and dentist say there is nothing they can do it`s just one of those things.

Thank you

Yorkrose

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I went to the dentist this week and mentioned all the things to which I have become allergic/intolerant in the last 6 months. She mentioned to watch out for toothpaste with 'sodium lauryl sulfate' in it (it's a foaming agent), as this is a common ingredient that people are allergic to. For these people, it causes mouth ulcers. Sensodyne 'pro enamel" toothpaste doesn't have it in.

Another cause of mouth ulcers is anaemia. Have you had ferritin as well as iron checked recently?

• Posted

Also, try rinsing your mputh put with salt water several times a day, particularly after eating. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to a glass of cooled boiled water.
    • Posted

PS Don't swallow it! You don't have to use the whole glass of salt water, just swill a mouthful of water around and in between your teeth then spit it out. Do 3-4 mouthfuls, 3-4 times a day.
  • Posted

Hi Yorkrose. I am so glad you wrote about this. I have been having the same symptoms. I have the same problem. Not only due I get these white sores my whole mouth will burn if I eat or drink certain things. About 6 months ago I started using a tartar control toothpaste and that's when I noticed my mouth sores and they were white and all over my mouth. Gums were very sensitive and it scared me. I thought I had some mouth desease. I stopped using the tartar control toothpaste and they went away. Then just recently I started to use tartar control again and now same problem. I thought for sure it must have something to do with my Thyroid or the thyroid medication. I was going to write on here about it but thought everyone would think I was crazy. I won't be using that toothpaste anymore.. Thanks for bringing up the subject. I wonder how many others have experienced this and if it could have something to do with the effects of thyroid meds reacting to ingredients in toothpaste. Amazing what we learn on here. Hope your sores get better soon. They can really be a pain and painful. smile

• Posted

Hi, I haven't been diagnosed with anything thyroid related even though am showing symptoms, still having blood tests done but I've noticed I'm also suffering from regular mouth ulcers. I use the Sensodyne enamel repair toothpaste as I also have weak teeth but still have the ulcers & they do seem to last longer than any ulcers I used to get occasionally before. I wondered if this was related. I do find the rinsing with salt water helps though.
  • Posted

Hello everyone, thank you all for the useful replies, I will check my toothpaste and start on the salt wash, I wonder if underactive  Thyroid causes weak teeth  as it does nails and hair because I always seem to need fillings now whch I rarely had to have before?.
    • Posted

Remember to get iron and ferritin levels checked. Anaemia often goes hand in hand with thyroid and can result in mouth ulcers.
  • Posted

Hello Yorkrose:

I had a mouth ulcer once after being intubated for surgery.  My dentist said rinse with salt water and it worked.  they take about 10 days to heal and some think stress is what causes it.  I got it only once from an anthesiologist who did multiple attempts on me while I was knocked out.

Try not to chew your food on that side and avoid any acid foods for a while.

Be well, Shelly

• Posted

HI yorkrose,

I don't know about correlations between mouth sores and hypothyroidism, but I do know I had them in my mouth and cold sores on my lips for the entire year before I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. One would heal, and another one would take its place. I haven't had one (knock on wood) since I started thyroid meds a few years ago! As Barbara mentioned, my dentist also steered me away from toothpastes with the foaming agent, and I noticed that eating anything with sharp edges like the cracker that I won't name but starts with a "T" seemed to cause them on my gums and roof of my mouth. Good luck with finding a solution. They are so uncomfortable.

• Posted

Thank you Frannie, I hope you touched wood they are horrible things to have.

Rose

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I suffered bad with mouth ulcers sometimes having as many as 11 at a time.  i use Lloyds Pharmacy ulcer clear machine. If you catch the ulcer soon enough it stops it from eveolving into a painful ulcer.  I swear by it and ive not had one for a few months now.  it uses red light treatment, use morning and night when u feel an ulcer starting and I guarentee you will not have the pain.  i purchased my machine for £4.99 so is cheap to buy, although might be a little more as this was 2 years ago.  Let me know how you all get on if you buy one

• Posted

Hi Michelle.

Wow that sounds great I will definately get one if they till do them, thank you very much for the info x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.