Mouth Ulcers/swollen lips

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started this drug and by the next morning had swollen lips, the following day I had multiple mouth ulcers as well...at least 50 to the top and bottom lip with swollen glands, headache and temperature.

I am now on a second antibiotic for the UTI -second day and still nothing improved...cannot wait i can eat, drink and talk without pain.

I am surprised how many people report problems on this drug and yet its still used...Iwould not touch it if you get prescribed it...strangley I too have an allergy to some wines which someone else reported maybe linked

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi! i think I am having the same problems with trimethoprim as you did.

I had a UTI about a month ago for which i was prescribed trimethoprim and just after I finished the 3 day course my lips were extremely painful, later they became swollen and I had so many mouth ulcers that just would not heal with any over the counter ointments/mouthwashes etc. I went to my doctor about this and he said I must have a viral infection causing the ulcers and prescribed me acyclovir which is for the herpes virus.

Anyway, they settled down about a week later, and i just presumed the course of antivirals had worked. However I went to the drs yesterday with another UTI (i get them regularly) and was prescribed trimethoprim again. I took the first dose in the morning and the 2nd last night and when I awoke this morning my top lip was very swollen and my bottom lip very sore - much like last time. I am also feeling very tired, I have developed a cough and a sore throat which i have since read to be other side effects that can occur with trimethoprim and so am feeling that I am probably allergic to it!!!

Thank yo so much for posting this as it has helped me piece together what is going on for me smile

• Posted

Snap!

I am suffering with this as I type this. My mouth is agony, two huge ulcers made up of loads of tiny ones, with more developing.

And what does the idiot on NSH hot line tell me...it's thrush. Funny, I thought thrush was fungal, and looked completely different to this entirely.

Does anyone else hate it when a doctor assumes that you are wrong just because you are not a doctor? I mean I know google is not fool proof but I get much more accurate diagnosis' from websites now a days.

And I'm not someone who freaks out easily or jumps to worried conclusions but when I read the following:

[i:61c89ca8aa]Important: if you develop any of the following, speak with your doctor immediately or go to your local accident and emergency department without delay.

An allergic reaction such as swelling of the mouth, face, tongue or throat with difficulty breathing.

Severe skin rash with blisters.

High temperature with a sore throat, [b:61c89ca8aa]mouth ulcers[/b:61c89ca8aa] or unusual bruising or bleeding.

Headache, fever, stiff neck, tiredness, feeling ill and an increased sensitivity to bright light.

[/i:61c89ca8aa]

So I'm wondering...should I be concerned, and to the other people who have posted, have either of you had blood related trouble, like anemia?

• Posted

Just found this by Google.

SNAP

UTI sufferer here.

Had Trimethroprim a few times before and have been fine.

Had it last month and like the other two posters exactly same symptoms. Same time span.Everything.

Went to Dr yesterday morning. took meds. This morning my mouth and lips are so sore and my lips look ridiculous.... I had full blood tests last month and nothing wrong. told it was Herpes virus that caused cold sores last time...

To add to the weirdness,....my lips down below also swelled up stupidly ...

Ugh...i hope i don't get ulcers again D: had so many..and so very big ones last time. lost 11lb in weight through that episode.

• Posted

I was prescribed 6 Trimethoprim 200g for uriniary infection. 

Since finishing the course I have developed 4/5 large and extremely painful mputh ulcers.

I just hope they go away soon and feel this side effect should be specifically reported as a side effect.

• Posted

Ladies,

I can see that this discussion thread is extremely old but I came across it last week because I was searching for similar experiences after taken Trimethoprim  (I ended up in hospital on IV for 5 days)!!

Anyways, if you haven't discovered it already then please please please look into a natural sugar called D-manose, IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIVES! Take it from someone who was a chronic sufferer to the point of tears.

YOU'RE WELCOME😃😛😍😙

• Posted

I started zinaat and next morning had swollen lips, next day's ulcers started. I think it's definitely due to zinnat. I checked with doctor but he refused, now I'm going to take printout and go to him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.