Mouthwash!

Posted , 7 users are following.

OMG...and I knew that mouthwash has alcohol in it...because i drank a bottle one day in January when my boyfriend wasn't around to get me alcohol and I was in withdrawal. 

There is a new bottle in the house...my boyfriend uses it.  I have a root canal that broke off and my gum is hurting...so I decided to swish it in my mouth.

BEFORE I did it I looked at the ingredients...on the TOP...and forgot that on the bottom it lists other ingredients (although I didn't miss this in January when I wanted to drink it and read the whole label and saw the alcohol)...I had really forgotten thou...so I swished....and you always swallow some by accident..

About a minute later...my whole windpipe was BURNING....and I panicked!  I went into the bathroom and looked at the bottle again and THEN remembered there were more at the bottom.  The freaking mouthwash has 21.9% alcohol in IT.  UGGGGHHHHHHH

I immediately went to the drugstore and bought mouthwash with NO ALCOHOL in it.  I felt awful...and frightened.

Was this going to set me off?  I felt like I commited a serious CRIME.

I know I am done drinking...because this is exactly how I reacted when I was 8 years sober...I steered VERY CLEAR of ANYTHING that had alcohol in it.

One day back then...my Dad..who loves me to death and is FRIGHTENED of my drinking...had a party at his house...and he had a fancy cake.  I NEVER eat sweets...but it looked SO RICH...light and delicious..that I had a piece.  I took one bite..and spit it out onto the plate and said DAD!!!!!!!!!!  THIS HAS ALCOHOL IN IT!!!!!!   I thought he was going to have a heartattack...he kept saying NO....NO....it doesn't.

I said YES....YES it does...he was holding his heart and apologizing to no end.  I felt so bad for him and I was so angry at the CAKE. 

For those of you that are trying to abstain.  BEWARE of mouthwash and special treats....I won't even eat ANYTHING that was cooked with alcohol (even thou I know it burns off).

I'm over it now...but my throat burned for a long time tonight..Until I ate something...actually...I still feel a slight burn in my windpipe (thats alot of alcohol 21.9%)....and that was 3 hours ago sad.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

You got over it Missy!! Do not worry anymore. Good advice to other to look out for mouthwash. keep going! you can do it! Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin!

I really didn't get over it fast.  I was depressed until I went to bed.  But I'm over it now and GLAD that I have a bottle without any alcohol in it. smile

I got this...this time...I do...I feel different than all the other times.

• Posted

Hi Robin!

I really didn't get over it fast.  I was depressed until I went to bed.  But I'm over it now and GLAD that I have a bottle without any alcohol in it.

• Posted

The site will not let me respond to YOUR reply on the Mouthwash post...I can respond to everyone else but I get an error message the 3x I tried to respond to you.

This is what I say.

Hi Robin!

I really didn't get over it fast.  I was depressed until I went to bed.  But I'm over it now and GLAD that I have a bottle without any alcohol in it. smile

• Posted

Hi Missy so long you do not swallow it , it should cause no harm , if the alcohol in mouthwash was that effective, lawyers would use it as a accuse for defending drink and drive , etc in Court
    • Posted

I apparently DID swallow it because it was burning my windpipe...I didn't do it on purpose....sad 

Oh its effective.  I drank a bottle in January and got drunker than I did on a 1/2 pint of Vodka. sad

• Posted

Good point, Missy, about hidden alcohol. Hubby had been 3 months dry after nearly dying with liver failure and ate something like beef bourgingon while out, not thinking about it being cooked in wine and was terribly sick. For a couple of years I used alcohol free wine in cooking. Even though cooking is meant to burn the alcohol off. Beware trifle, too!
    • Posted

OMG...I think that is what the cake was called that my father got. TRIFLE.  Is that a cake sort?
  • Posted

My God - I'm, with you here. Problem is that my husband is away, and I've just got back from a night in hotel room with a very nice guy - nothing happened, but I did down about half a bottle of vodka he had left. He was honourable - no funny business....I dropped into the shop on the way back and I'm still drinking. First time in months.   This is awful. This is an addiction. I get so depressed when I'm sober. Dont know how to find a way through...... I'm happy now, because I'm drunk and I've do nothing to be ashamed of - dont want to go out and ruin that.
    • Posted

Oh no...that stinks that you had a few months....and NOW THIS.

I know that feeling about being depressed when sober and wanting to escape...only I AM depressed both WAYS and that s*cks too!

You don't have to explain yourself away about your husband.  I am someone that believes that people are not meant to be together forever, things change...

And WITH ME...as soon as the fights and nit picking begin...my heart is out...which is part of the reason....I drank so much in the last year.  That and many other issues...plus  drinking is the only way I learned to escape my whole adult life.....don't beat yourself up....just try to do better tommorow.

Although you will be depressed tommorow..cause alcohol...has that affect on our already SAD brains.

• Posted

Hi so your husband does not mind u checking in a Hotel with another men, u are very lucky u have a loving and understanding husband.
    • Posted

Hi Richardt...do you realize that judgemental comments like this scare people away?  I just felt bad for ursulau when I read this comment.

We don't know what goes on in peoples lives....we don't know if her husband mistreats her.  We don't know if she has a pending divorce.....AND WHAT WE DO KNOW...is her husband WOULD probably MIND very much! 

So I feel the comment was sarcastic and off topic, mean spirited. 

Who knows maybe YOU were cheated on before and you have hard feelings.

• Posted

Its OK, of course I shouldnt having been doing things like that. But I didnt check in with anyone. I was chatting to the guy in the pub, and he could see I was the worse for wear, and when I said my husband and son were away at first offered to order me a taxi home, then invited me back to his hotel room where he was already staying, and I slept in all my clothes, then ordered a taxi and webt home as soon as I woke up.  I was lonely and desperate, and when I'm like that and drink I just talk to people - anyone.  Luckily this guy was very honourable.  I know theyr'e not all like that.  Now my family are back - we are reunited, and I'm so relieved, and have no idea why I wanted to drink in the first place. This time around, it was purely lonliness.  I could have just gone on holiday with them. I thought I'd stay at home and do something productive instead, but somethings things just dont turn out that way!!!

Back on the wagon now - very annoyed with myself  - I was feeling pretty fit and healthy - but hey  - the fallout could have been alot worse, and I can beat this demon alcohol.....

• Posted

Glad you're back on track again Ursula. Good luck and stay strong. 

• Posted

Thankyou.   I am still feeling a bit hung over, and the hot flushes are still coming.  Alcohol makes me so ill. I used to be able to 'take my booze' but not anymore.  A definite message from the body that its had enough of that lifestyle...
    • Posted

great that you know what not to do now since you get ill. Best of luck Ursula! Robin
    • Posted

Sounds like you not only were you lonely but the alcohol took away your inhibitions and increased your impulsivity.  I'm happy you didn't end up in a dangerous situation and that everything is back to normal. 

I have done similar things like this years ago...I left my house and told everyone I was going to pay on the Christmas layaway I had for my kids...left in the morning and came back at like 1am.  I spend all night in a bar with a stranger...dancing...singing kareokke..and he walked me to my car.

Very dangerous situation AND my family was home panicking about where I was.  Alcohol does really scary things.  I wish you luck in your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Missy. Yes unfortunately alcohol does remove inhibitions, and it has made me behave very oddly in recent years, which is why its just not safe for me. When I've had an episode and remember what I doing - the bits I can remember, its like I am thinking about a completely different pereson.  In the most recent episode I remember sitting on my own in a pub/bar and talking on and on the the couple at the next table, who in the end very politely asked me if it would be Ok if they could have some time to themselves, as it was their first date!  I just said yeah of course and left. 

I havent even got a clue what I was saying to them.  Also time is very distorted, so that you look at your'e watch and its 6pm or something, then you look again, and you realize your'e in a totally different bar but dont know how you got there and its 11pm.   Very weird and not good. And its got much much worse than that.. but I wont go there, and my experiences are definitely an advert not to drink!

• Posted

Well, if it makes you feel better I don't know my first sons father..complete..black out...complete stranger.

Blackouts can be very dangerous....a girl in my hometown "KILLED" 2 old ladies (sisters) when she hit their car in a black out and spent 10 years in prision...she was only 21 when she did it...and SHE DIDNT REMEMBER ANYTHING about it.....SO SHE COULDNT EVEN FEEL GRIEF or REMORSE.

Alcohol is evil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.