Moving elderly parent close to me

Posted , 9 users are following.

My father is ailing and well aware that he may soon need to go in to a care home. 

The problem is he lives 100 miles away from me, so it would  make more sense for him to be near to me.  He has always been independent until recently, but if he was in a home in his town there would be no one to visit him regularly.  If he was in my town I could call to see him daily.  Is this a local council issue and would they pay for the care of a person who has moved from another area?

Many thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mel! Its never easy with an elderly parent! I was my late fathers carer for 7 years!so not easy! Hope you will be OK! Good luck regards Amanda
    • Posted

Thanks - it's just the distance that's the stumbling block sad
  • Posted

In my expiriece as a carer there are pros and cons swimmig aroud this issue often when and derly relative is moved they struggle to cope with the change and often fall critical. However as the daughter can you allow yourself not to be near him everyday? It is incredably hard but I would ask what your father wants to do encourage him to make his own decision and go with what he says at least then he has had full control over where he spends the remainder of his life smile 
  • Posted

It can be very difficult for a person to leave their support system.  Your father may rather stay in his community where he has many friends and family members.  It is a hard decision but I think it is important for him to make his final life decisions.  Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.