Moving Forward

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

My husband who is older than me has recently been awarded the higher rate Attendance Allowance.  We both have our own health issues and whilst I have always worked I now feel I need to quit my job to focus on looking after him more and also to try to get to grips with my own depression, diabetes and other health and mobiity problems.  

My question is, once I pack in work will I be able to claim Carers Allowance and would I also be able to claim PIP in my own right?

Any advice gratefully received.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Good question! Carers Allowance is paid to a person that looks after another person for more than 35 hours per week. If they are in receipt of Attendance Allowance High Rate. Sometimes the amount may differ for the Carer if circumstances change.

If you put a claim in for PIP they may question you regarding a Carers Allowance claim.

I would ask CAB first before applying, I can see where you are coming from but the DWP is making major changes to numerous benefits. If you have a Facebook account you could do a search for "FightBack4Justice" they will help you out in anyway, they deal with many Benefits and Allowances, including cases.

Hope that helps you!

Les.

• Posted

Hello Les63

Yes, Hubby gets the higher rate as of 23 February 2015.  I plan to quit work at the end of April and apply for CA but just wondered whether in my own right, I could claim the PIP and hopefully some housing benefit.  Things are going to be very hard financially and as we have worked all our lives and never claimed anything before we will need to consider what benefits may be available to us.I will have a look at the Facebook link.  Many thanks Les.

Mary

• Posted

Hello, you can only get carers allowance if you are of working age, once you become a pensioner you can apply, but not recieve, but if you are able to claim pension credit, being entitled to carers allowance but not able to receive it, you will get an enhancement on you pension credit. As for claiming pip, if you qualified for it, You would struggle to say you cared for someone for 35 hours as you would not be well enough to do that. hope this helps, regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.