Moving from DLA to PIP

Posted , 5 users are following.

Being on my own I have no one to turn to for advice. My neighbour suggested this website so here goes.

?I'm a 69 year old widow and am receiving DLA High Care & Mobility indefinitely. Been through the process so far which has left me mentally drained. I have been dreading the result and cannot summon up enough courage to ask the DWP. This morning a brown envelope arrived and I pannicked big time. I just don't want to know so put the letter unopened back in the post box. I felt good about doing that as I now don't need to open it, I no longer have it.

?Now I am worrying if I have done something stupid or wrong. What do the DWP do with returned mail?

?I just wish my good lady was still with me as she took over these sort of things. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh bless you Paul,  I think most of us know what you mean about panic.

I'm really not sure what the DWP will do with returned mail, I suppose it will depend what you actually wrote on the envelope.  I'm afraid that you will have to know their decision at some stage and you never know, it could well be good news.  Did you have a face 2 face assessment, if so how did you feel that went.

• Posted

If the letter is returned to the DWP then in all liklihood they will send it out again as remember the decision has been made on your claim and sadly by doing what you did then its highly likely if the decision is not what you hoped then you will hardly get any time to do a MR Paul.

Phone them up Paul as you have nothing to lose. 

• Posted

Hi Paul,

First of all you need to calm down, yes it's very very stressful, i know as been through the PIP process myself. The only thing you can do now is to ring DWP PIP first thing on Tuesday morning, they open at 8am and ask what the decision is. Tell them that you panicked when you recieved the letter and what you did. For all you know you could have a decision in your favour and your PIP money will start approx 4 weeks after your DLA money stops.  If the decision isn't in your favour your money will stop completely in 4 weeks from the decision. If you have a mobility car the car will need to be returned and motability will be in contact with you shortly. Also if this is the case you're going to need to know because you'll have 1 month from the date on the letter to ask for a Mandotory Reconsideration (MR) do you have a copy of the assessment report? If not then you're going to need this too. Please ring them Tuesday to find out the decision and please let us know the outcome. If more advice is needed then i'll be more than happy to advice you and what happens next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.