Moving house and landlord re; esa

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am moving home (again). My circumstances have not changed whatsoever. my rent is the same, I'll be living in the same town. One bed flat. benefits same. ESA income related support group. No change. Except for moving. yet my housing association landlord demands 4 weeks advance rent. Why? When get 100% housing benefit? The excuse is because of UC. But I've not been asked to apply for UC. If I get 100% housing now why should I have to pay? And what has UC got to do with it? And if when I do eventually have to apply for UC what right has my landlord got demanding I pay 1 months rent in advance? How can they say I'll be paying full rent when I do go on to UC? Many thanks. Ian.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I am presuming your previous landlord was in the private sector, if so you will get your deposit back from him/her and can pass that to your housing association, problem solved.

Even with Housing Association you have to come up with deposit, you can apply for a special payment to cover it in special circumstances

• Posted

Hi Agizmo and others.

My landlord is the same as I've had for decades now. They're classed as a private association landlord and a registered charity. Some charity. They've told me I've no chance at an appeal. Who do I appeal to? Them? So now I've to find £320 just to move. Then when the government comes knocking telling me I'm going on UC I've to find the same amount again. My landlord says there's no chance of appeal. I've no doubt they're right, because who do I appeal to? My landlord or the government? Nice little earner if you can get it. Funny how I've never heard of this in nearly 35 years being with same landlord.

Him. Take care folks.watch the monsters don't bite.😉

• Posted

So what your saying is they already hold a deposit for you and that your moving accommodation within the same structure, if that's the case and they haven't returned your original deposit they can't ask for another one, or am I misunderstanding you

• Posted

Alexandria is correct, you have to pay a deposit whether it's private or housing association. Being on benefits makes no difference what so ever. All landlords have every right to ask for the 1 months rent in advance, after all it's their property you're renting and they need to make sure you're going to look after it. They have to have some security.

When you do eventually transfer to UC there will be a payment protection in place so you won't be any worse off. Being worse off will only happen if you have to move to UC because of a change of circumtances.

• Posted

I'm not sure why it says my reply is waiting to be moderated lol. I didn't say anything bad eek I just said that Alexandria is correct in the all landlords are well within their rights to ask for a month deposit in advance. Even housing associations do this. There's nothing you can really do about this. The reason they ask is to cover any damages that maybe caused.

I tried to get out of this deposit a few years ago when i moved into a housing association house, i didn't have 2 pennies to rub together at that points. Sadly there was no way out of it and ended up borrowing the money.

• Posted

That was weird to hold a post for moderation when there was nothing untoward in it, gremlins LOL
  • Posted

I think because everyone will have to go on the Universal Credit at some point, the housing association is asking for a months in advance to prepare you, as everyone will have to find five weeks rent out of their own money. The all landlords are worried that their tenants will get into arrears, which will lead to them having to start eviction proceeding.  And because of the Universal Credit everyone will pay monthly from that point of them starting to receive it. The Tories want us all to get used to how it is to work, and be paid monthly. Cruelly they expect us to go five weeks without any money, which would put us 7 weeks in arrears, as we are already 2 weeks in arrears already. Although they say at some point, we can borrow 100% of our award, to be paid back over a year. At the moment it's 50%, but they don't tell people an advance is available.

• Posted

Hi worridjoe.

I see what you say, but what I mean is if it's correct that the landlords reason(ahem!) Is to get us all used to working and paying for things in advance, how, like I said will I have to pay for the same property I'm moving into now then AGAIN for the same property in advance next year when UC comes into effect here in march? Which means I'm paying 4 weeks rent to my landlord now and 4 weeks in advance next march to the council? Government? Seems to me everyone I talk to forgets one thing. I'm on 100% housing benefit! I shouldn't be paying anything! ...Just playing by there rules! The ones they made up and now are struggling to see through. How can you charge someone as if they're working, when they're not? Or am I the only one seeing this sham.

Anyway happy Xmas folks.take care. Ian.

• Posted

What makes you think you'll be moving onto Universal Credit in March? Just because your area maybe going full service, this doesn't mean that all those on legacy benefits will be moving over. All those on legacy benefits won't be affect by it for a few years at least. The only way someone will have to claim it is if their cicumstances change and their area is a full service area.

Once you do finally get moved accross there'l be a payment protection in place so you won't be worse off.

• Posted

Hello Ian.

I think they ask for a months  in advance for that coming month, then every month. You won't have to pay an extra month when you go on the UC, as you will already be paying monthly.  Trouble is housing benefit is paid fortnightly in arrears.  I understand you get 100% housing benefit, but they expect you to take responsibity for paying your rent. Unfortunately if you are getting your housing benefit fortnightly, the council won't be paying you extra in order to change to paying your rent monthly. It's not fair, but it's very hard to fight them.  I am a private tenant and get paid housingbenefit fortnighly, but I pay my rent monthly. I had to pay the difference out my own money. You could ask the job centre for a loan.

• Posted

this is because everyone will be required to switch to UC and the month in advance is most likely new process to help with the 5 week delay when switching to UC. however any money is backdated regardless apart from the first week of housing support on UC. this would only be enforced if the postcode fall into a full UC area? as you will be required to switch to UC from date of moving for housing support. if this is the case UC offer and advance which will cover this. if not required to switch to UC for housing support then the landlord will always owe you a months rent. because housing benefit is always paid in arrears anyway
    • Posted

The move for everyone will not take place for at least another few years........................
    • Posted

And what is a few years? I have been informed by DWP next march. That is what they've told me. Now the landlord is saying same thing but it's nothing to do with them. My point was dates aren't that important. It's the fact I WILL be charged twice for the same product, sorry, property.£360 arrears now and 360 in the near future by the council. Equals £700. Whichever way you look at it. By the way, does anyone know of any one personally of getting money back for paying a council for enforced arrears of rent(housing benefit re: Hb). If so what's the point of enforcing it in the first place? What is it meant to achieve? I know I've never heard of anyone being reimbursed. Take care. ian.x

• Posted

That just goes to prove that DWP have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to UC. All existing claimants that are currently on the legacy benefits will not be moced accross to UC untill sometime between 2019-2022. Next March is just the date in which your area moves to a full UC area. If you have a change of circumstances then this would be different, if you don't then you will not be moving to UC in March 2018.

As for the housing benefit question, i can't help with that sorry. Maybe you should make an apppointment with your local benfits advice centre for advice.

• Posted

Hi Denise.

Just read your post. You say a change of circumstances could make it different for me. Do you mean moving home could make it different? Hope not. But it seems like they're changing goalposts every week. From what I personally can gather there's no change of circumstances. My claim is no different everything is exactly the same. The only difference is is a change of address. Or is now a change of address a change of circumstances? I can't see how. Or have I got that wrong? Doh!!!! Take care. ian.

• Posted

My take on the change of circumstances rule is that anything you have to contact them to say something has changed is a change of circumstances, just seems some COCs are dealt with differently, ie your leg has fallen off will mean a complete reassessment, yours being a change of accommodation is not seen in the same light unless you are moving into a bigger property and do not really need to, as in you were in a one bed and single and move to a two or three bed and still sole tenant then you would lose some HB so it would make a difference
    • Posted

Hi Ian,

For UC a change of circumstances is change of address IF moving to an area that is already a full or live UC area. For you this doesn't apply because in a previous post you stated that it was the same local council am i correct? If i am then this is not classed as a change of circumstances for you.

For your other benefits, then it's simply a change of address, this does not make it a change of circumstances. All you have to do is ring DWP and change your address once you've moved.

As i said before your area movng to full UC service area in March 2018 will NOT mean you'll have to vhange to UC at this date. You'll continue on the benefits you're on until you're asked to change. When you are asked to move accross you'll have apayment protection in place that will make sure you're not worse off. This payment protection is not yet in place for anyone who has to change to UC as a change of circumstances.

Hope i've explained it enough for you to understand. biggrin

• Posted

Hello Denise.

Thanks for your post. Yes your right I did say I'm moving into a new flat in the same local council area. As I say absolutely nothing has changed apart from the address. I'm going from one bedroom flat to another one bedroom flat. Which is what is baffled me. I understand landlords can demand a one month advance. I don't understand why they're asking now after donkeys years of being a tenant they want it now. U explained it perfectly. Thanks for that. Must admit though don't understand but at the end about protection plan. What is that? I understand moving from ESA to UC I shouldn't be financially worse off weekly concerning my money( ESA benefit pay) but what I'm saying is I'm now to pay a month in advance for rent (320 quid) then the same from the council for HB when UC does come into effect. Anyway asked for a appointment with landlord manager because I feel it's wrong what's happening and someone is jumping on the bandwagon. I'll let folk know (Monday) what's said then. Fingers crossed. Thanks for everyone's patience. ;-) X Ian.

• Posted

The payment protection is actually called a transitional protection. This will be put into place so that when everyone does move accross to UC no one will be worse off. Those that claim legacy benefits may have a premium added on top but with UC those premiums don't exsist. That's what the transitional protection will be for, so that those who claim the premiums won't lose out because there will be a protection in place what means they won't lose them.

If a person moves accross becouse of a change of circumstances then they will lose the premiums because there's not transitional proctection in place yet.

I'm afraid i can't help with the deposit of rent you've been asked to pay. Hopefully you'll get that sorted at the appointment. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.