Moving house while on ESA

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am actually writing this question for someone who suffers with bipolar and is very worried about her situation, which is now effecting her wellbeing.

The person concerned will be getting a half share of the house when divorce comes through and wishes to use it to buy a small 2 bedroomed house which will mean using all of the proceeds.

After living 20 years with a bulling /controlling man, she needs a place to call her own and something to show from all the physical / mental abuse which she has go through.

Can she achieve this while on ESA?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello,  I don't see any reason why your friend can't achieve her goal.  If she wishes to spend her half on a home to call her own, then why not?  I am sure there are others on this site that will also be able to give advice.  I wish your friend every happiness for the future.   smile

• Posted

I will make sure my friend reads all the comments and advice from everyone.

Many thanks for wishing my friend happiness as she truly deserves it.

• Posted

Capitol is disregarded for 26 weeks if being used to purchase a house. This can be extended if there's a delay in the buying process. Your friend will of course need to contact DWP and all other Income related benefit departments when the money is recieved.

• Posted

Thank you Denise for your help , as always your advice is always helpful.

She will be seeing her ESA adviser next week and giving the information she has now will make talking to her a lot  easier.

• Posted

She is lucky to have a friend like you! 

Personally I would advise your friend to get some some advice from Citizens Advice ,,she wouldn't want to get anything wrong would she? 

There are rules about how much money a person has before getting ESA ,and it would need a professional to explain the details

best of luck X 

• Posted

If i didn't think i was 100% correct then i wouldn't have adviced Sue in the first place. Like i said capitol is disregarded for 26 weeks for purposes such as buying a house. Google will tell you i'm 100% correct. Otherwise for income related benefits it's £6,000 before it affects your benefits and £16,000 and your benefits stops completey. Thank you.

• Posted

Can't hurt to run it buy the professionals can it? I'm sure you would agree with that? Oh,by the way ,don't always presume that Google is right ,use it as a pointer by all means,but at the end of the day for important things wouldn't you,say it's better to have a word with people who are paid for a living to do so.? 

It can be helpful to hear advice from people who make a point of researching the web also, but ,nothing wrong with gong,to Citizens Advice . 

• Posted

Just for your info CAB (Citizens Advice) don't give advice for a living as you put it. Their advice is completely free, just exactly like mine is. I also didn't need to ask google because like Citizens Advice my advice is also correct. I would never give advice that's wrong, if i did i wouldn't be here.

• Posted

Another thing to remember is CAB aren't professionals either. They're people like myself who advice people out of the kindness of their hearts, all completely for free smile Which is another reason why i also adviced Sue to contact DWP and all other Income related benefits departments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.