Moving the pain to 3-4 and pain meds.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, first off, thank you everyone for posting on this discussion.  I've dealt with my RA without knowing personal stories of others, and it really helps me feel as though I'm not crazy.  Here's where I could use some help.

I've been able to tolorate the pain of RA without using pain meds, NSAIDs have worked the best, but I'm needing to give my kidney's a break.  I float around a 3-5 pain level everyday.  Now without the NSAID, the mornings are slower to un-stiffen and the worst is toward afternoon I can no longer type my hands are so bad.  I'd say it's a 7 or more.

My Dr has convinced me that I should try some pain meds along with my cold packs.  So I am trying tramadol and taking it only when it's a 7ish.  It's not working well at all.  I'm 58, have sever RA for 1 year, on 3 Dmards, pred, and Embril.  Pushed up my pred when I dropped the Nsaid. Wondering if there is a med combo out there that worked for you? 

So what is your pain med plan or history if you are willing to share? I'm hoping to find something that I can take that adresses the pain and still keeps me mentally focused.

Thanks for sharing

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello

wow id love my pain to b a 7!!!! mine is a 7 on a daily basis and in flare goes over a 10, needing morphine, tramadol, co codamol, this has been going on for years and im on 25ml of mtx but still not managed well yet, i cant work or look after myself properly so painkillers are a life saver( when they work) feel suisidle alot of the time and just lately tear muscles so easily i take diazipan, hope it continues to stay on 3/4 for you hun, i managed 2 biths with no painkillers but this is off the scale, good luck and hope it helps xx

• Posted

Hi loulou, that's so funny the way u explained ur pain, just the other day someone asked me to explain the pain I'm experiencing right now in this neverending horrendous flare. I pondered for a while and said, I'd rather have another 9lb baby sideways with no pain control. The pain of a bad flare is so unlike anything else I've ever experienced, much worse than natural childbirth. Worse because you can't see the end of it. Keep well. G.
  • Posted

Hi, first off I'm 61. I've had RA and Fibro for at least the past 25 years. But before they actually was diagnosed as having MS. For 13 years I was treated for it with taking ACTH twice a year in the hospital for 10 days hooked to an IV system getting this meds. Then a six weeks tail of shots at home after the 10 hospital stay.

Well then it was found out that I had myofacial syndtum. Then I found out I also had RA and Fibro. But my pain has always been so very bad. Between anywhere from a 7 to a 14. Then reason I say 14 is because my pain has gotten so very bad that all I do is cry that it hurts so very much. Went to the hospital a couple of times. But they won't give you any pain meds at the hospital. So that was a total waste of money.

My children and grandchildren say I live to far away to come and help me. I live about an hour away from them.

But when they want help from me I always go to them. But I guess I'm gonna half to start to tell them no.

My husband is an over the road truck driver. I only see him from 1 1/2 to 3 days a month. He just doesn't seam to want to come home.

So I live a very lonely life.

I'm so sorry that your health is causing you a lot of pain. I'll pray that it gets better for you very soon,

• Posted

aww linda, im so sorry and sad  to read your health story, i to feel quite lonely and it is a very isolated and empty feeling,especially when you are so alone with support.  is there a local group you can attend? nras has a helpline and email support i think, i so sympathasie with your pain, is it a very hard thing to come to terms with, i am only 44 and have had it for 10 years and realise just lately that i may need some help in the form of anti depressants, so im going to ask for amiltripotaline, being in constant pain is lonely, frightening, and creates an unhealthy thought pattern, have you thiought of counselling? do see your doctor as they may be something to relieve your psyical and mental suffering, failing that enjoy some wine or vodka!!!! i wish i could be of more help to you, i know exactly what you are feeling but please look forward to better day ahead, if there is one, sending much love to you. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.