Moving toe!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am just over 3 weeks post op and have spent the last few hours looking at u tube and everything seems to say I should be trying to move my toe joint. My surgeon has given me no instruction on this and I don't see him again till the end of the month. Any advice anyone. My wound is pretty good but my joint us very stiff, should I be trying to wiggle? amanda

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

i was 3 weeks post surgery and i was advised to move the big toe backward and forward several times a day as i was warned if i didnt the joint would become ridgid. It felt a bit weird for a while, but now definately more supple. Maybe you should call thedoctor for advice. I am now 4.5 weeks post surgery, it stills feels a bit sore and foot swells a lot during the day, but am back at work (desk job) albeit moving around slower! 

• Posted

Thanks Jackie, I will start moving it. It feels very stiff as though something is attached to my second toe, hopefully it starts to give a little. 
  • Posted

Hi Amanda , have you got pins in ? 

My toes are still pretty rigid but pain free , it will happen gradually but I wouldn't force anything , I had no Instruction to try and move my 3 toes, they kinda move now but that's after about 10 weeks in 

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I am almost 10 weeks now and just had a R akin scarf Osteotomy. When I was seen by the Register to have the bandage removed at week 2, he told me to move my toes backwards and forwards and so I did whenever I remembered. I would advise you to try to exercise those toes. My big toe isnt all that flexible and now that I have been discharged I do other foot exercises, I think if you dont use it you lose it, so it will be difficult to start but like with everything no pain, no gain.

Best of luck

Dot

• Posted

Definitely! You should start range of motion exercises on a Lapidus (the most invasive of bunion surgeries) at two weeks to break up the scar tissue. The first day it hurts a lot so be readybtontake a pain pill afterward. The second day less so, and by day three even less. But you have to keep up with it or the tendons and ligaments get tight again. Do it early or you will for sure be in for painful physio later. Basic initial ROM is to  grasp the foot lightly to hold it steady and manually move the great toe up as far as it will go (bending the base joint of the toe) bad hold for 10 seconds. Then bend it down and hold for 10 seconds. Do this three times, 3-5 times a day. Bend it until it hurts quite a bit in the early days, but don't kill yourself. Just stick to it and over time you should get close to normal movement. Full movement doesn't happen until you can do weight bearing but this will set you up to get back on your feet sooner. While the bones need rest to heal, the soft tissue needs activity to help it heal normally and stay flexible.
  • Posted

Hi Amanda,

I had toe fushion on both toes on 26th august, and like many not been told any exercises I have been able to wiggle my toes an hold them up and down plus I got n infection but I am managing with the pain it wasn't s bad as Ithought it would be hoping go back to work in 3 weeks although my left toe is quite sore still which is what I found when I woke from operation, so gladi had it done tho

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.