Moviprep

Posted , 2 users are following.

having a colonoscopy on 21 dec after taking a volentuary screening test , i was absolutley devestated at first when i had the letter ,thinking of the worst things possible , but have managed to calm down after speaking with consultant, i have not really got any symtoms which is why i was quite shocked . The thing that is scaring me is taking the moviprep do i need to sit straight on the loo or does it take sometime to work , is it better not to eat much before hand ? i suppose everyone is different i,m just getting really anxious about it

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Kerry I am facing a similar procedure, however I had one about five years ago so at least have an idea of what to expect. First thing I would say start a light diet about two days beforehand as obviously the less there is in , the less has to come out . Next thing is to arm yourself with wet wipes and vaseline ! as you will get quite sore with all the bowel movements. Keep your prep in the fridge , I found it easier to drink cold. I also added some fruit juice( nothing red! ) to make it easier and took it through a straw. It's unusual to go immediatley , might take an hour or two and sometimes the first dose doesnt expel much, however the second dose more than makes it for it. Be warned, do not stray far from the toilet, unless you have experienced it it's hard to imagine the impact but it's like someone turning on a tap , it just pours out with little or no warning . Wear loose fitting PJ bottoms , or similar that is comfortable . A hot water bottle when you get to bed is comforting . Lastly I hope it goes well , and I would recommend sedation . Means you have to have someone accompany you home and stay with you but if that is an option then it's definitley worth considering .

• Posted

hi evelyn, thankyou for your reply and advice, i am definately going to have a light diet beforehand , i am more nervous about the prep than the procedure ! I will be having the sedation too , just anxiously awaiting the date to arrive now .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.