Moviprep for colonoscopy, so worried. Advice and honest experiences please?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I am having a colonoscopy at the request of my doctor in a few days time and I am absolutely terrified, constantly crying and in so much panic.

I really don't think it is necessary as he has asked me to have it due to mild abdominal pain alternating on left and right side and a deep ache in the mid-right section of my pelvis which I have had for nearly a year now (this seems to be related to my urinary tract as it causes urinary frequency but doctor said he wants to rule out if its to do with my intestines) I have also had intense aching/pressure in my rectal area but no bleeding or changes to my bowel movements and medication he has prescribed has helped with the aching. Stool test also came back fine but he still wants me to go ahead and have it 😦

I have been sent the Moviprep and I would like to know people's experiences of this? My appointment is at 9.45am and I have been advised to start taking it at 5pm the day before??? This seems way too late in the day and because I have severe anxiety about this I have googled 'Moviprep experiences' (stupid I know 😦) and there are so many horror stories. Several people said they had not been able to leave the toilet when their appointment was due so they have had to cancel? Others say they were still running to the toilet in the waiting room when their appointment was due? I have also read that some people have had this procedure done as a routine (not due to bowel symptoms) and suffered diarrhoea/incontinence/pain for weeks and months after. I do not want anymore symptoms on top of what I already have 😦.

I am planning on just eating plain toast/crackers etc for the next couple of days and then eating very little on the Thursday (my appointment is on Saturday). I was also planning on taking the Moviprep at around 2pm on the Friday so it gives me a few extra hours just in case the diarrhoea lasts for longer than expected.

I am also going to opt for the conscious sedation (I am in the UK) as I don't think I can handle being fully awake.

Can anyone advise on how long the diarrhoea is likely to last? The box says it lasts for 2 hours but the reviews I have read say much longer than this. I have recently lost my grandad and we are saying our goodbyes next Thursday (5 days after the procedure). I am so scared that I won't be able to go if I'm not recovered in time. On top of that I have a full time job and I have had to tell them I am having this done but I don't know how it will effect me so to expect me to call in sick for a few days. I don't want this procedure to trigger worse symptoms or cause further irritation as surely it isn't healthy to drink two litres of laxative and then have a camera inserted in your colon 😦.

I wish I was braver. I am mainly worried about having permanent/long lasting diarrhoea/changes in bowel movements/pain after this procedure.

If anyone has any advice I would be so grateful,

Thank you for reading and sorry about the length 😦. Just feel so isolated right now 😦

Charlotte

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have had two colonoscopies and never had an issue with them. Yes the prep empties u out which is necessary. But once the procedure is over, I never had continuing diarrhea or any problems at all. the vast majority of people do very well.

your doctor just wants to have a look and make sure everything is OK.if I may ask, what age range are you?

• Posted

Hi Jan

thank you for taking your time to respond I really appreciate it

I am only 23 and as I very luckily have no 'red flag' symptoms which I am so thankful for it seems odd why it was requested. I just feel like it's all a bit drastic. I have been in discomfort and something hasn't been right for a while but I am just terrified it will make my symptoms worse.

did you opt for the conscious sedation? as I'm in the UK they won't put you to sleep which makes me worry even more. sorry to ask but how long did the moviprep effects last before your appointment?

• Posted

Agreed with Jan on this one, after the procedure I was back to normal and easily could have gone straight to work. In fact my appointment was the same time as yours and I also started taking the moviprep at 5pm. I waited for an hour or two and nothing happened. I was so nervous because of all I had read online before. Then it wasnt until after the 2nd sachet (or second half of the sachet) within minutes i felt 'it' coming. You will be in complete control and you know when its coming roughly once an hour for 5 hours then your on the toilet for about 10 minutes (only ever 1 minute of real action! the rest is anticipation) and its over until the next hour.

Yes it does 'explode' out of you, but its quite a cleansing and therapeutic process if you think of it in this way.

My last toilet visit was at 1am before my colonoscopy in the morning. I went to sleep at 11pm, woke up naturally to go wee then it came. Since its quite acidic it may make your bum a bit sore, so apply vaseline each time you go to the toilet.

Good luck you'll be fine! Drink lots of flavoured water to help stay hydrated and flush your system.

• Posted

Also, dont worry to much about eating less on the day of the moviprep, as long as you stick to the food guidelines as per the instructions. The active ingredient in the moviprep makes your intestines sweat essentially so that you induce an internal flush. Lots will come out whether you eat or not, its just the food guidelines recommend stuff which will pass easier and wont leave crumbs in your tubes that may affect the view of your intestine lining during the colonoscopy.

• Posted

hi oh do you know that could have been my post before i had my first one bless you. i was exactly the same absolutely terrified but i PROMISE you its nowhere near as bad as you are thinking. i too googled everything which is probably the worst thing you can do! ive had two now and would not worry at all about a third. Yes the moviprep cleans you out but you are completely in control of it all, for me it was just every 20 minutes or so for maybe 3 hours, slowing down at the end. i started mine at 6 pm and was happily tucked up in bed by 10 pm. in the morning i started at 6 am and again was done about 3 hours later. the actual proceedure is over and done in about 5 to 10 minutes. believe me none of it is anywhere near as bad as you are reading. good luck!

• Posted

I've had three and none of them was a problem - before, during or after. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi,

I had so far 6 colonoscopy and now going to have one in September, i did not had any problems and it was straight forward, so there is nothing to worry.

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.