MPSA increased to 4.31 from 3.45. Should I be worried?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Total PSA has increased to 4.31 ng/mL from 3.45 (Nov 2019), a 0.86 or 25% increase Had half my prostate zapped (ablated) by HIFU in Nov 2018 for focal 3+7 Gleason PCa. My TPSA steadily decreased from 5.9 (Jan 19), 4.6 (Mar 19), 3.51 (Jan 19) to 3.45 (Nov 19).

My Free PSA has increased from 0.40 to 0.47. My ratio has gone from 0.12 to 0.11

Should I be worried? What should I do next?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, title should say TPSA not MPSA

• Edited

PSA is a highly unreliable marker for prostate cancer and can bounce around a lot. The higher the Free PSA the better and your numbers look very good. The HIFU treated part of your prostate but the other part is still untouched so that can be generating more PSA. Your uro will likely tell you to wait a while, maybe 6 months, and test again. If your PSA continues to go up, you many have to get a MRI or biopsy. MRIs are not cheap but a 12 core biopsy can be painful. I have had two of them. What you are looking for is peace of mind. I have been there. Once you are diagnosed with PCA there can be a lot of anxiety, which is why most men have their prostate removed, or if older, radiated, to get that PSA down to near zero.

• Posted

thank you for your reassuring comments Tom which I found reassuring. I keep forgetting that PSA test results can be unreliable. My desire to track it by percentage increases is probably not helping me. My euro said he’s not surprised by the increase. He knows the background of my treatment. I was interested to hear you say about higher free PSA figures and mine were good. my P my FPS a this time is 0.47 ng/mL Before it was 0.40. Would you kindly explain how these figures are good. my PCA was found only in the left half of my prostate. My surgeon recommended leaving the right side alone as to MRIs and the biopsy found nothing there. my Euro has suggested an MRI which I will have. It has been one year since my last MRI so I don’t mind this. After experiencing the ups and downs since my HIFU 18 months I can understand the benefits of added certainty from RP. I was hoping to save some of my prostate and avoid the incontinence and impotence risks from RP. Onwards and upwards I guess. What is, is. Thanks again for your comments which I found reassuring and informative.

• Edited

You can research free psa on the net - the higher the better. You were fortunate that the right side of the prostate showed no cancer, so that you were able to do focal treatment on the left side. You should not be using percent increase in the PSA to tell you what's going on. My PSA was up and down by a point or two on a regular basis before treatment, so some variation is not that unusual. Now, if it keeps going up in the next year, then you will have to MRI or biopsy. It's possible the PSA will just bounce around a bit. There are pros and cons to every form of treatment. Once you get to that point, if you ever, do, there are many here who can help you with that decision. You can interview different surgeons who do the different procedures for more info. They love to talk about what they do. They all seem to think that their specialty is the way to go, then you talk to another doctor and get another opinion.

• Edited

PSA is a highly unreliable marker for prostate cancer and can bounce around a lot. The higher the Free PSA the better and your numbers look very good. The HIFU treated part of your prostate but the other part is still untouched so that can be generating more PSA. Your uro will likely tell you to wait a while, maybe 6 months, and test again. If your PSA continues to go up, you many have to get a MRI or biopsy. MRIs are not cheap but a 12 core biopsy can be painful. I have had two of them. What you are looking for is peace of mind. I have been there. Once you are diagnosed with PCA there can be a lot of anxiety, which is why most men have their prostate removed, or if older, radiated, to get that PSA down to near zero.

• Posted

To add, if I could go back I would ask to have my entire prostate ablated and not only half my prostate. At the time my surgeon said ablating half my prostate was extra cautious as I could have had only the focal piece of PCA ablated in the left half of my prostate. But this has left me with anxiety about that unablated right half of my Prostate. I guess doctors never like doing 100% of the prostate when 50% is being over cautious but this has left me with anxiety. Once you’re having an operation under aneasthetic you might as well have the entite prostate done. That’s my thinking now as I face uncertainty, further MRIs and PSA tests and a possible second HIFU

• Edited

Mike,

You make a very, very good point. The doctors seem not to care about or be aware of the anxiety factor that you describe. After my first 12 core biopsy that came back positive for Gleason 6 cancer I went on active surveillance for a year and a half. I was constantly in a state of low level anxiety knowing I had the cancer and not knowing if it was increasing. Then, after my second biopsy I decided to have treatment. I chose HD Brachytherapy as it had the highest percent cure rate. Two treatment sessions. Both were very easy. Once I had the radiation my anxiety level dropped to almost nothing. There have been some side effects from the radiation - prostate swelling that lasted for about 5-6 weeks and required me to have Foley catheters, and, eventually, ED issues. RRP is also a tough operation and can cause incontinence for a year. Anyway, there are good and bad things that can happen with either treatment method. But, the constant anxiety went away.

When I was first diagnosed with the cancer I thought of HIFU but it wasn't available in the USA at that time.

Tom

• Posted

Thank you Tom. The background anxiety never leaves one. My surgeon seemed keen for me to retain half my prostate and some functions. But I did not realise how much anxiety I would have. I thought after 18 months of good PSA results that I was in the clear. I guess the PSA tests are a constant for all of us but the extra MRIs are tiresome. I suffer claustrophobia so it is worse for me. Good to hear that your HDB treatment worked for you. That seemed off the agenda for me as apparently 'unnecessary'. The ED issues seem unavoidable. The anxiety is the biggest thing and more than I thought. HIFU seems a London based offering. My surgeon told me if I had lived in Wales I would’ve been offered RRP.

• Posted

Mike,

Even I have some background anxiety. I had a TURP last year and the tissue samples showed no cancer - that was good. However, my PSA was 0.3 after my last test - up from 0.1 a few years ago. So, that's in the back of my mind.

I have regretted having radiation because it left my prostate in place and so I have had years of BPH issues. Had I decided to have the RRP no prostate, no BPH issues, no radiation side effects. I now have "radiation cystitis" - my bladder is very sensitive now - like overactive bladder. It wakes me up at night, so I never get a good night's sleep. Of course, had I gone for the RRP I might have have lasting incontinence - I will never know. What's done is done. It's been 6 years since my treatment and except for the 0.3 PSA I am fine as far as I know. My uro says 0.3 is "stable" and not to worry. But, like you, it's always hiding in the back of my mind.

About the ED issues - before the radiation my sex life was great - now it's gone. Who knows what would have happened with RRP. All worth considering when you decide what to do next.

Tom

• Posted

Ratio that are less in quantity or length, is a good thing. Think of BMI, the lower the ratio the more likely a person is in good health. Speak to your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.