Mr Len lyons

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 73 and take warferin and am awaiting

Date to have 2 bunions done at the same time.they will give me a general anaesthetic because of the warferin.They say they want to do them together to cut down the risk

I have been reading lots of reports and frankly I am thinking of not doing it as most people have had very bad experiences.

I would love to hear from someone with good things to say.by the way I am a man and most are from weman

Len

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Len, my experience has been pretty good. I am 2 months post op now and super happy with my surgery.  The first 3 days days were super tough but after that it was a whole new experience.  You will have to decide if you can live with your pain/discomfort and not having the surgery or put up with a few days of pain for the longterm goal of having good feet again.  I wish you luck! 
  • Posted

Hi Len

I had the bunion on my left foot removed together with fusion of a hammer toe at the same time, this was in late March.  First few weeks were okay but I certainly needed help with day-to-day things but slowly but surely everything started to improve.  Aft many years of walking with a distinct limp, hip and knee pain and a horrid looking foot thing are now near on perfect.  Am now considering some long-distance walking.   So pleased I had it done.   Oh any I am 70

• Posted

Hi Len, I think the most important thing is to do your homework and find a good surgeon, and all the better one that is recommended to you by someone who has had bunion surgery.    I have a large bunion on my right foot, had it for years. Don't get any pain at all, Doesn't affect my walking at all, just a nuisance trying to find shoes to fit. If I eventually get it fixed, it would have to be the minimally invasive op.Like you have heard a lot bad reports on the operation.I don't know where you live, but in UK in Sussex, there is a lot simpler operation with a lot quicker recovery time. If you google The European Foot Institute you will find the information on bunion operations they do  there. I am from UK but live in Australia and have thought about going over there if I decide to get it done.   

• Posted

Hi Len , I am also warfarin and just recently had mtpt bunion and Stainsby procedure to second toe. Admitted into hospital 2days prior because of warfarin and discharged the day after the operation.Best advice is to keep taking painkillers for the first week or so, even if you don't feel much pain. I am now in my 5th week, stitches removed, still wearing wedge boot (like the 80's), toe still swollen, loose bandage . Being unable to venture out is the worse part. Keep foot elevated to reduce swelling. It took a week before the warfarin clinic stabalised my dosage. Good luck Len.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.