Mr Michael Phillips

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had a bad attack of gout in the past week and have been advised by the doctor to take both ibuprofen and painkillers at the same time. However, the pain and swelling does not seem to be going away and it's been nearly a week. What do I do if it continues

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Michael, what other drugs are you taking? What diet are you following?

What was your uric acid reading?

• Posted

Michael,

Sorry to hear about your attack. I have suffered with gout for more than 30 years. The medicines prescribed for an attack have recently changed. My latest attack (I have 4 or 5 a year) occurred one week ago. I was given the same regime the past 3 or 4 times, which works very well.

It is: Colchicine 0.6 MG tablets- Take 2 at onset then wait an hour and take 1 more, then you take a course of 21 prednisone tablets over a course of 6 days. If you can catch the next attack early enough, you may be able to avoid the need to take the prednisone totally, which is the experience I had just this week. I was able to take the Colchicine for two days (2 pills at once then 1 an hour later for 2 days in a row). Those two doses of Colchicine worked to make the pain and the swelling never really get to the kinds of levels you can experience in a full on attack, which sounds like what you have.

Ibuprofen is fine to fight inflammation but doesn't directly address the crystal build up in your joints. The pain pills help with managing the pain, but these two prescriptions don't really address gout. Good luck with having your doctor get you the right regime. If he/she won't, GET ANOTHER DOCTOR THAT WILL.

• Posted

Michael, I have had a pitiful week myself. ankles, knees, left shoulder (recently had right shoulder replaced) and hips. I have pseudo gout. calcium Crystal's in all moving parts. I have had a long miserable time with this malady. Nothing seems to help. have been on morphine and percocet for about 20 years. The only thing that has given any relief is prednisone in 60mg doses to begin and tapering down over a 2 week period during flare-ups. Can barely walk today. I feel worse for my family than myself. I was once a hard working man, now basically worthless. Had a rod placed in my left hand leaving it unable to bend. So much for guitar playing, etc. Have my own car lift in my shop and was a good wrench man in my day. Was a good musician (Kansas music hall of fame) did stand up comedy, and am a published writer. "You don't know what you've got till its gone."

Be upbeat and try not to complain. It does no good to be negative. Show others how to act when things are at there worst...be an example of strength. It may be all that's left you. It is not a great ending to an otherwise wonderful life. It isn't understood by many who have not had a similar disease. Some have it worse and I admire those who take it with courage. when asked how I feel. I say perfect in every way. What good any other answer? Good luck and God Bless, my friend

• Posted

Hi Michael

i am assuming that you are otherwise fit and healthy and no other issues - especially your kidneys are in good condition.

Gout is caused by crystals in the tissues.

In the UK the norm would be to prescribe colchicine for a week or so. My experience is one in the morning, and one at night will help. You don't want to take this for more than a week as its not good for the kidneys.

Some people find cold on the painful area (I assume your big toe) helps. Others find heat helps. Personally I found alternate ice pack and then very hot foot bath helped.

You certainly want to drink as much water as possible. Cut out alcohol and sugar. Above all drink water - I can't emphasise that enough.

i wish you good luck and good health.

• Posted

Narproxen is good as well as colchichine. Trammadol or oramorphe for the pain and swelling. I had an attack for 6 weeks solid with intense pain and had the chills which was alarming. Doc said because of the chills and the knee area that was very hot she put me on antibiotics incase of infection in bone which is very serious. Nobody will understand the pain unless they have this condition. This condition has destroyed my joints. Only advise i can give is keep well hydrated (water), eat celery and drink warm lemon juice every day and night. I Done this and never had an attack in 3 years which was a miracle for me.

• Posted

Obviously sorry to hear of your joint damage. Hyperuricemia is not only bad for the joints but also the blood vessels and heart. Were you not taking something to reduce blood urate, which is what will stop the damage long term?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.