Mr Neil Kitchen

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had MVD with Mr Neil Kitchen, NHNN, Queens Square, London, or any other surgeon in London, who has experience of HFS and MVD?

Thanks

Tracey

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

I had mvd surgery by Mr Kitchen in Jan 2012. The spasms reduced by about 20-30% only, but I am very grateful that I suffered no complications at all and had a very smooth, rapid recovery.

best wishes to you.

Leon

• Posted

Hi Leon

Is there any reason why your condition wasn't a complete success?

Tracey

• Posted

I was told that 2 compressed areas were padded. Possibilities are that the paddings were not thick enough, other compression/s were missed, new compression/s post-surgery etc. I suppose without a 2nd surgery, I will never know. But there are patients who had complete success with Mr Kitchen, who is highly regarded.
  • Posted

Hi Tracey

I can't answer this question myself, but I know that some members of the Facebook HFS Support Groups (there are two different ones) have had surgery with Mr Kitchen at NHNN.  I also think some members of this forum have used him too.  I have certainly seen his name fairly regularly on these sites during the x 2 years I have been active.  Wishing you the best, Roseann

• Posted

Hi Tracey

I had a MVD in Jan of this year with Mr Kitchen for TN. I was very impressed with the whole process, and fortunate to receive immediate pain relief. I do ahve so residual tingling in my teeth and gums, but unfortunately nerves are a strange thing-but all livable. I would certainly recommend the NHNN.

Good luck

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra

thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that your experience at NHNN, was a good one. I'm seriously considering surgery for hemifacial spasm. I believe that the surgery is pretty much the same as TN. How did you find Mr Kitchen? Is he very experienced at MVD surgery? Regards Tracey

• Posted

Hi Tracey, he was very knowledgeable, and had done nearly 400 of the mvd's in Jan-so I felt he was the man for the job. It is worth it. 

Love Sandy 

• Posted

Hi Tracey, 

I am new to this site and hope I doing this the correct way.

Could you tell me please have you found out any more information on Mr Neil Kitchen? Do you know his success rate for operations for HFS? I am thinking of going for the operation as the injections are not really helping me, I have had these injections for three years every three months, and the face getting worse. Thanks for reading this.

• Posted

Hi Chris

I am going ahead with surgery with Mr Kitchen on January 7th. He's a very nice man and when i had a consultation with him asked him what are the success rates. He told me that around 70% have significant improvement, some wake up spasm free, for others it can take longer. He was honest and said for some it may not work. I asked him about losing hearing, he said he's had one case of hearing loss over 20 years. He also said that one never knows you try surgery. I told him i was fed up with hfs and wanted to go ahead with the surgery. He's very relaxed and i liked his manner. Are you the same Chris who joined the Facebook group recently? Do you live in Hoddesdon? I found the Nhnn ver good, especially when i went for an mri. Mr Kitchen 's secretary is also very helpful.

regards

Tracey

• Posted

Just noticed a post on another forum about Henry Marsh, another of the eminent London neurosurgeons.  Will copy it here:

I was in the London underground last week and saw a huge billboard advertising a book by UK neurosurgeon Henry Marsh, entitled 'Do no harm'. It is all about his work doing brain surgery. I know he is one of the people who has done MVDs for HFS. Thought this might be interesting to bring to your attention.

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

Yes I am the same person who Join the group on Facebook a few weeks back. I do not live from Hoddesdon, Cheshunt, do you live this areas? How did you manage to work that out ha..ha..?

You mention Nhnn do you mean N.H.S ?

Did you go to your own G.P. first and ask him or her to recommend you a person or did you do all your own research?

How long did it take for your appointment to come through to you for your operation?

Will you be having the operation in the U.C.London Hospital?

Did Mr Kitchen advise you how long you would be in hospital and how long it would take for you to recover?

I am a very nervous. Any time I have to stay in hospital I go into a panic, even at the mention of staying in hospital. I am also worried about how long I will not be able to look after our young grandson who I have once a week, on the day I have off work, and of course work will want to have an idea how long I will be off. I only work in a shop part time but its still a job. Sorry to ask you so many questions.

Thanks for getting back to me Tracey please stay in contact with me and let me know how your operation goes, I will be thinking about you a lot now. Take good care. Chris

• Posted

Hi Chris

I had a feeling you were the same person who joined the fb group, as i think you asked about surgeons in the London area. Why don't you send me a personal message through fb, and then we could chat in more detail.

Mr Kitchen said i would be in for 4-5 days, recovery could take around 4 weeks, but everyone is different. i know what you mean about being nervous, I'm really scared, but i don't want to put up with this any more.

Tracey

• Posted

Forgot to say Chris, that my name on the fb group is Joanne Harris. My real name is Tracey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.