MRA - Magnetic Resonance Arteriography

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm sure several of you have had an MRI, relating to your Meniere's, however, has anyone ever had an MRA? A doctor friend (not an ENT) suggested I speak to my ENT about this. He said an MRA is like an MRI but they shoot dye into your bloodstream prior to the filming and it shows a lot more than simply an MRI. He indicated that it could identify an Acoustic Neuroma or an Aneurysm. Both of these diagnoses can be treated & cured where Meniere's cannot. I'm going to ask my ENT next time I speak with her. Thanks for any insight on this. Greg   

https://www.anausa.org/learn-about-acoustic-neuroma/what-is-acoustic-neuroma#important-points 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/156993.php 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My ENT mentioned an MRA after I had pulsing in my ear with loud tinnitus.  Since I had had a Head MRI only 6 months ago, he had me do a CTA instead.  The CTA also uses contrast in the bloodstream to highlight the vessels going to and from the brain, which pass very close to the inner ear.  In my case he wanted to make sure there wasn't anything in the blood vessels that was causing the pulsatile tinnitus.  (That isn't usually part of the Meniere's symptoms).  The CTA also looks for neuromas and aneurysm.  Mine was normal thank goodness.

• Posted

Thank you Iana, and so glad for the outcome of your CTA. This knowledge is valuable. 

• Posted

I thought I had a MRI, but they did put dye into by arm and all it showed was  I have old veins and need to take a baby aspirin . Glad  I didn’t have a tumor , but it would of been nice to find something easy to cure instead of dealing with this aweful disease for life . Praying it only stays in one ear. But please keep posting if you hear of any new procedure or drug out there. We all have to help each other . Praying for a cure 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.