MRCP.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm having an MRCP with contrast of my liver, gallbladder, billiary system and pancreas next Wednesday.

If you've had one how long did the scan take?

Many Thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

I had one yesterday. It took about 20 minutes. Make sure you wear comfortable clothes, no zippers or metal. That way, you avoid having to change into gown. 
    • Posted

Thanks. Was it with contrast? I hate the enclosed space of the MRI machine. I had an MRI  for a herniated lumbar disc last year. I wen't with jeans on that had the usual small metal bits and they said it was fine, i just had to take my belt off as it had a thuck metal buckle.

• Posted

The actual scan takes only 10 to 15 min. But from start to end it should be around 45 to 60 min. Between I'm holding off my gb removal temprorily and looking more towards my gastritis with barrets esophagus on how to heal it as I don't have severe pain on gb area though I have stones.Also we don't know if non functioning gb can cause gastritis or two separate issues Do you have gastritis ?

• Posted

Sorry i missed your post. No i don't have gastritis. Well i don't think so anyway😕

• Posted

Hi Matt, it only takes about 10-15 minutes. They gave me pineapple juice to drink before hand as they said there's something in it that helps to produce clearer pictures. 

Its one of the easiest tests to have so shouldn't take too long. I didn't get the results straight away, they were sent to my consultant.

Let us know how it goes.

• Posted

Thanks Katherine,  So you were only in the scanner for 10-15 mins? Was the juice aswell as  iv contrast or the juice was what they used as contrast.

Thanks

• Posted

No just the juice to drink, no iv contrast which was a great relief. They said they didn't need to use anything else as the pineapple juice does it all, Obviously hospitals do things differently but this was my experience.

I don't like the mri scanner at the best of times, just make sure you have music playing as it makes it easier to deal with as its a small space if you haven't had one before.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

• Posted

Thanks Katherine,

Thinking about it i think mine must be with IV contrast as i've had to have a kidney function blood test. Unless the oral stuff has more in it than just pineapple juice?

Thanks

• Posted

S#it just spoke to the imaging department at the hospital as you have to confirm you're going. I spoke to a young girl she didn't seem to confident in answering my questions but when i asked how long the scan time is she said 1hr! Surely that can't be correct? She said it was because i was having my liver scanned aswell as the the MRCP but i thought an MRCP included your liver anyway? Most places on google say 15 to 30 mins? No way can i lay in that machine for an hr. She can't be right surely. She said i'm booked for an hr but maybe that's the whole thing as it is with IV contrast which is what i also wanted to confirm when i phoned.

• Posted

Hi Guys,  So i had the MRI/MRCP done. Getting the results took 5 weeks which i got on Wednesday when i went to see the surgeon. I don't know what to do now because everything is normal. Gallbladder is thin walled, no stones, no  fluid/sludge and biliary tree all normal.

I was told that when the sonographer thought that my ultrasound showed a thickened wall at the end of November, that's not the case and was told it depends on the skill of the sonographer.

Matt

• Posted

Nope no HIDA. This has been going on for me for over 18months now. I asked for a HIDA over 10months ago when i 1st met the Gastro.

My symptoms are severe bloating, right rib pain, light coloured poo, dark urine, a balloon like feeling under my ribs, upper back pain, nausea all day everyday and dizziness.

The dizziness has now been with me 24/7 for 40 weeks today solid. I'm waiting for a neurology appt that has just come through that i've waited nearly 32 weeks for. The Gastro, surgeon and my GP refuse to believe that the dizziness is anything to do with a gallbladder problem, well that's not what i've read.

I'm in the UK and the healthcare service is CRAP. I even had to wait 4 weeks for my MRCP/MRI and then 5 weeks for the results.

• Posted

I've been made to feel like it's all in my head because i suffer from anxiety, but NO way is it in my head, i'm not that thick and i've never had an ounce of health anxiety. I've also lost 8 stone, you can't imagine that.

Matt

• Posted

I understand too I have been going though a lot the last 5 months I have had 2 cat scans 4 ultrasounds a MRI lots of blood work and a hida scan that come back at 88% so my gallbladder is over working my symptoms are  Central pain that goes to the right more but I get pain in the left too and back pain and light stools I’m getting my gallbladder out on the 17th and hopefully it takes my pain away 
    • Posted

Good luck with your getting your gallbladder out Kelly.

I take it your not in the UK? As getting all those tests in the UK would take 5 years.

Yes i get pain in my left side to but not often.

Did your blood tests ever show anything? I've had them done 5 times and never showed anything apart from bilirubin and WBC up once but still in the normal range.

• Posted

And thank u I’m so scared there is something more wrong but I keep being told that it would have been seen from all the tests I have had done 
    • Posted

Did you do HIDA scan for gallbladder function? Mine all test was fine,only in HIDA scan they found GB not working. From there on it's 8 years continues Dizziness for me, last year diagnosed with Gallstones after severe bloating and burping. But never know removing gallbladder will solve the dizziness part. It's going to be gamble.

• Posted

Yes I asked my Dr to send me for one

because of all my symptoms and every test has been normal and I meet a lady going though the some symptoms as me and her hida scan was 91% 

• Posted

Nope i was refused a HIDA at the end of June last year. I don't understand how an ultrasound at the end of Nov said it could see a mildly thickened wall and a shadow, but my MRCP/MRI 9 weeks ago says my gallbladder is thin walled and no shadow. All my ducts are clear also, pancreas, liver, spleen and nodes all normal too.

• Posted

Thank u I got a call yesterday my surgery has been moved up to next week Thursday now 
    • Posted

No worries. I know now you're not in the UK or your surgery would have been moved to a year next Thurs😅

Good luck! You'll do great!!!!!

• Posted

No I’m in Canada lol thank u I just really hope this works 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.