MRCP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there.

Can anybody tell me something about MRCP diagnostic? Not ERCP.

Tnx.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dragan,

I'm not a Dr but I have had an MRCP.

It was done like an MRI and you can have it with or without contrast.

It shows the ducts in detail of the pancreas, gallbladder and liver.

It is very good at detecting structural changes in the pancreas and ducts and also dilation of the ducts.

I went private to have mine and got a CD of the pictures.

Hope that helps!

Gem

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've had acute pancreatitis twice!

My MRI & MRCP took 45 minutes. I had them done jointly. The MRCP but if it did take about 20 minutes

Gem

• Posted

Dear Gem

Do you take some special vitamins? Do you have pancreatitis? I am 35 years old smile

Regards from Croatia

• Posted

Hi Dragan. I don't have pancreatitis. But i have symptoms of chronic pancreatitis. All my tests are normal so far. But I have pain every day.

I don't take any prescribed vitamins but I take a multivitamin once a week. Calcium and vitamin d every day. And I take turmeric and grapeseed extract tablets. They are supposed to help with inflammation.

Gem

• Posted

Hi Gem,

does mrcp shows any change of pancreas parenchyme? I mean calcification or srac tissue?

• Posted

Hi ML,

I think, tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the best for calcification is an x-Ray or an ultrasound. But an MRCP can see parenchyma when used with secretin. I think.

I'm not a dr as you know. Lol!

Gem

• Posted

Hi Gem,

I ask because dont know... I have been on mrcp... and will go for EUS.... do you know what are the differences? what is better and for what?...

• Posted

Hi Ml

Can you tell me how is look like the MRCP?

• Posted

Hi Dragan,

its very easy and comfortable... I had to drink 1L of water is 30 mins... or something like that and go into the tunnel... gave me headphones to reduce the nosie of the machine and docotor instruct you when to breath or not to... take about 15-20 mins... before go to tunnel I have received contrast into the weins.... one of the easiest procedure... my result was clear... now prepare for EUS....

• Posted

They are both good for detecting changes of the pancreas and ducts. But the EUS is preferred to diagnose early changes to the pancreas. They can see changes in the size of the pancreas and they can also look at the gallbladder and sphincter of oddi when they are down there. MRCP can see structural changes, calcification and parenchyma as well as the EUS but as I say the preferred test is EUS, I guess in case they need to biopsy when they are in there.
    • Posted

Thanks for explanation.... when we are alking about calcification or scar tissue is the mrcp as good as eus or eus would be more precise?

• Posted

Hi dragan,

May I ask why you had it done privately, and what your results were.

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

Dear Emmab

I had two times acute pancreatitis 2013 and 2015. and I have now 17.09. MRCP because they dont know the reasons...

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I don't know if you meant to ask me that question and not Dragan. Sorry if you did.

I had mine done privately as the NHS waiting times were stupidly long and i was convinced I had pancreatic cancer and wanted answers there and then as it was effecting my emotional health. I paid £620 for an MRI and MRCP I got a CD with all the pictures on and 24 hours later I got the results that everything was normal.

Gem

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Dragan,

I have chronic pancreatitis too, it is horrible illness, I take enzymes and vitamins plus painkillers daily. I also have scarring and calcification on pancreas, I usually see my consultant every 2 months.

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

Dear Emma,

What kind vitamins do you take?

Best Regards

Dragan

• Posted

Thanks Gem,

For your message, I may try looking into going privately because I don't seem to be getting much help from my consultant , I am pain everyday and have scarring and calcification on my pancreas, Also I had EUS

Procedure but no MRI/CT scans yet as they don't think necessary, which I think could pick up maybe further damage ect as it was about a year ago now and I am just getting worse bowel issues weight loss,

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

Hi Dragan,

I take enzymes plus vitamin B and Thiamine, have you been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis.

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

Dear Emma

I have acute pancreatitis. Two times. Now I wait for my MRCP. I just left hospital before 9 days. During my stay in hospital I went 2 times on CT scan. Damage on tail of pancreas.

Dragan

• Posted

Hi dragan,

Have they said what treatment you will have, and I'm not sure the procedure you are having, what was the cause have the said.

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma

Nothing special they said. The necrose of tail was stop after 7 days and all of my blood test are ok. and they send me home. Now, they try find the reason why attack hit me again. Sorry if my language and spelling are not ok.

Dragan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.