MRI 15 months after failed FLA/biopsy info

Posted , 16 users are following.

Good morning guys, hope everybody is well. I just wanted to give a quick rundown of my 3 T MRI results from a couple of weeks ago. DR K was kind enough to order it for me, so hopefully we could all learn why it did not work for me. I was also lucky to be living in Chattanooga Tn right now, and was able to,schedule with the famous DR Busch. trust me on this he is a lot like DR K and I would not hesitate to travel many miles just to have him do any future imaging done for anything, but especially the prostate. He actually sits down with you immediatly following the procedure and goes over it with you. And a more pleasant and interesting person to talk with can not be found. He spent at least 45 minutes with me discussing the results. He is also considering FLA at some point, and really believes it is the future.

BUT anyway the bottom line on my case was that it appears DR K removed a LOT of tissue from my prostate, but it also appears that the remaining tissue never collapsed in and reformed like would be expected. The reason is an unknown, possibly because i have a "hard" gland, or possibly because it was only 43 gms. It is no 42 gms so DR Busch thinks I got zero reduction in size, even though a large amount of tissue was removed.

DR Busch also thought my large median lobe was still a major issue. He also said he would be interested in a follow up MRI in one year to see if anything changes.

So in a nutshell it did not work for me, and we may never know the reason but it still seems to be the most promising treatment. And I am certainly not sorry that I tried it.

On another note about Dr Busch is of the opinion one should never get a prostate biopsy before having a 3 T MRI done first. He is so meticulous about how he looks at and measures every single image. There is no doubt if you have anything suspicious going on he will see it, and if you need a biopsy he can focus on the EXACT spot that needs to be checked. I cant stress this enough, even if you can not travel to Chattanooga to meet with him in person, pay him to review your scans before you decide on anything. It will be the best money you will ever spend.

Good luck guys.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi guys,

I have had 2 fla's. It has been a year since my 2nd one. Had a csytoscope about 4 months ago and uro said looks great and was impressed. Everything was nice and opened up. Still have some problems going mainly evening's. I take 4mg flomax. When it's good I pee like a race horse. Sometimes I'm shocked how well and how much comes out. Not sure why some nights it get slow. I know that if I get prostatitis things go down hill. I kinda think I have some bladder issues that may make it worse at times. I do get bladder pain every now and then and do take uribel that cures it usually over night. For the most part I am happy things work fairly well most the time. I have tried to cut back and even guit Flomax, but gives me problems when I do.

This is a great site and I'm am happy that I found this place . Is has helped me greatly over the years. Also lots of nice folks in here.

Jim

• Posted

Hi guys,

I have had 2 fla's. It has been a year since my 2nd one. Had a csytoscope about 4 months ago and uro said looks great and was impressed. Everything was nice and opened up. Still have some problems going mainly evening's. I take 4mg flomax. When it's good I pee like a race horse. Sometimes I'm shocked how well and how much comes out. Not sure why some nights it get slow. I know that if I get prostatitis things go down hill. I kinda think I have some bladder issues that may make it worse at times. I do get bladder pain every now and then and do take uribel that cures it usually over night. For the most part I am happy things work fairly well most the time. I have tried to cut back and even guit Flomax, but gives me problems when I do.

This is a great site and I'm am happy that I found this place . Is has helped me greatly over the years. Also lots of nice folks in here.

Jim

• Posted

HI Joe, be so kind and PM me MRI scan of your current Prostate state.

My FLA was done on April 3rd 2018 in Houston . Similar diagnosis like yours - big median lobe with IPP- acting like pressure valve. Failed PAE on 2017,... but no prostatitis. Prostatitis seems to be one of reasons in case of failure. After my FLA hard infection with signs of Prostatitis appeared . I cured it with 12 days long fasting - just water..., it was really miracle. From this time I use every day serapeptase 250.000 units. And I"m quite well.

Maybe you know I evaluate all available patient of FLA in this site in EXCEL table and probably it can be usefull for anybody suffering.

Happy Day to all of you , Stan

• Posted

Stan, where is the EXCEL table posted, would love to see everyone's results.

• Posted

You say: "On another note about Dr Busch is of the opinion one should never get a prostate biopsy before having a 3 T MRI done first. He is so meticulous about how he looks at and measures every single image. There is no doubt if you have anything suspicious going on he will see it, and if you need a biopsy he can focus on the EXACT spot that needs to be checked. I cant stress this enough".

I agree 100%.

I pushed for that in 2016 when I told my urologist that I want the 3T scan ahead of the biopsy or there will be no biopsy. Also note a transperineal biopsy is to be preferred to a trans rectal one.

• Posted

"transperineal biopsy is to be preferred to a trans rectal one" I assume to reduce risk of infection, correct?

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply.

YES, you concluded correctly.

Of course the key is to have a urologic surgeon very much experienced in this.

• Posted

100% in agreement. I ditched one urologist who wanted a biopsy ahead of the MRI. I then argued not to have the commonly accepted trans rectal biopsy and opted for the trans perennial approach.

• Posted

Joe,

A question about your FLA. How long afterwards did you have a Foley in place? I understand that current FLAs being done involve having a Foley catheter in place for 7 to 10 days.

Glenn

• Posted

Glen,

The amount of time a Foley is required can vary based on each of us as well as the amount of tissue that is ablated, though I believe most of those performing the procedure recommend around 7 days. I have heard of some having very small areas treated not in proximity to the urethra where it was less, but I would not let the period of time be a concern. While a Foley isn't comfortable, 1 week isn't that bad.

My only recommendation is that you have a plan in place should a problem arise. While rare, it's best to be prepared (I was one of those few).

Best,

-Tim

• Posted

Good morning Glen. I wore the cath for 7 days, and honestly once you get used to it, its not a big deal at all. I would not base my decision on a procedure based on this. It is kind of nice to sleep without having to get up several times per night lol.

Joe

• Posted

Very true. If it is inserted with care, over time there is little discomfort and a you say "one gets used to it".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.