MRI Addendum 'Fluid on Lungs' - Lung cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All,

I'm new here and have been reading lots of your posts in the hope that someone has been through something similar to me...

I'm 33, had an MRI of my spine that found evidence of Ankloysing Spondylitis. However, there was also an addendum on the results saying that there was a 'small amount of fluid found at the bases of your lungs' and they have lined up a chest X-Ray for me on Tuesday. Obviously I went straight to 'doctor Google' (not good, I know) and all that keeps popping up is either heart failure or lung cancer! I have had no chest infections/coughs/blood in spit e.t.c that are symptoms of lung cancer, but I have read back pain can be a sign - or that there can often be no symptoms at all...

Has anyone else had fluid on their lungs (plueral effusion) with no other symptoms or an apparent cause?

I suppose what I'm really asking is if anyone can offer me any hope that they have been through the same thing and it turned out to be OK(ish!).

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Lisa,

Often with lung infections like pneumonia, symptoms take a while to develop. I know when I had pneumonia, the slightest inhalation would send me into a coughing fit, and I thought it was just a cough but a month later I was coughing like there was so tomorrow. When I went to the doctor they said it looks like i'd had pneumonia for months, which is longer than I'd been coughing. I also showed no symptoms aside from coughs, like energy deprivation etc. Maybe read up on pneumonia and other lnfections, it likely isn't serious and it's not unusual to not have the exact common symptoms. 

Good Luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Lauren. I had my chest X-Ray on Tuesday and am now just nervously awaiting the results. Not sure how long they might take though...

Have all my fingers crossed that it's a virus or infection, just seems so strange that I've had no symptoms!

• Posted

I have just found out the same, had ct scan lower ab and pelvis and now seems I have fluid on lungs, have lot of middle back pain for alomist 18 months now, why they gave me lower ab and pelvis scan god only knows! Have no other lung type symptoms no coughing, no wheezing or shortness of breath......am freaked out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.