MRI and AS

Posted , 4 users are following.

How good is MRI at picking up AS in beginning stages? If you have normal spinal mobility but intermittent SI area pain and 2nd half of night back pain?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I'm thinking the same! I have an MRI next Tuesday of my full spine and pelvis. Found out I have the gene HLA-B27 so now they're checking by MRI. How about you? Hoping it will show some answers!

• Posted

Hey Xo

Have you had an xray done too? 

Hold old are you and how many years haveyou had problems?

Mine aer intermittent but irritatating 

Keep in touch and let me know how the MRI goes. Good luck and hope you get good results!

• Posted

Hello!

I have had X-rays but not to investigate AS. I had hip X-rays for hip pain which were normal but muscles around it weak. I'm 17, I've had it a few years but like you its intermittent with flare ups. I will keep you updated and thank you (having a flare up at the moment too actually) how painful!

• Posted

my understanding is: very good.  Seven years ago (long before AS was in my radar), my MRI showed "bone spurs" (can't think of the medical term they used).  The radiologist made mention of them, but their significance was overlooked...  looking over previous reports (there are many!) I found the report, I brought it to their attention.

?only then did they do additional testing.  My point, a MRI is very good (not 100%) at picking up little changes in the spine.  Be sure you read the report and you understand what it is saying.  Be your own advocate!  Good luck on your journey to find some snswers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.