MRI compatible pacemakers.

Posted , 1 user is following.

MRI scanning now seems to be one of the main diagnostic tools. So much so that at 80 and with various recent problems I have needed two recently. The second one was rushed through last week as that consultant knew that I am having a pacemaker fitted next week.

Prior to my pacemaker assessment session today I had asked the cardiologists secretary if they were now fitting MRI compatible ones as a matter of course. The answer was no. The nurse at the assessment and the young doctor I saw were each surprised at my question and said that I will need to ask the cardiologist when I see him on the day but that compatible ones are seldom fitted.

What have recent Forum NHS patients had fitted?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Derek, I had a pacemaker fitted on June 3rd, it was a neccessary quick decision for my health's sake and discussed and fitted within 3 days although it was first mentioned over a year ago.

I'm 62 and I have had an MRI compatable pacemaker fitted.

I have to wait for a week or so to have my pacemaker optimised

• Posted

What was their reasoning in going for the compatible one or is it standard practice at that hospital? The cardiologist doing it is not the one I usually see as after my 7 day monitor they put me with the one who was going to do it quickest... within three weeks the one who phoned me said. Though as usual it has stretched out to eight weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Derek, I'm not sure really because it all happend so quickly. I live in South London and my hospital is St. Thomas's. I'm having my Pacemaker checked on Wednesday so I might finf out more then

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.