MRI & MRA results???

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my MRI and MRA yesterday. The nurse just called from neurologist and said Dr. Ahmad said your MRI was ok. That's it no explanation no suggestions on how to move forward or anything. I do have an appointment with the gamma knife place on the 11th. My question is do I see another neurologist for a second opinion and also one who actually cares. Every time I call the neurologist with a problem with these meds, the nurse is very clipped and short with me. Doesn't take the time to talk to me or explain anything. I just don't know what my next step should be.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What type of MRI did you have? My first one was only a few images of my whole head. It was only useful in ruling out tumors and Multiple Sclerosis.

My second one was focused on the Trigeminal nerve, on the side where my pain was located. Nearly 3 hours in the MRI machine, and about 600 images. The compression of the nerve was clearly visible, giving the neurosurgeon an advantage before drilling into my skull.

• Posted

Hi clint71

Just a regular MRI of the brain with and without contrast and the MRA Circle of Willis.

• Posted

Hi Em

If it were me I would first call the surgery and 'firmly' ask for some details. Not an 'explanation' but more 'detail'. Get your questions ready and be fully prepared before the call.

If that fails, ask her for a 'long' or 'extended' followup appointment. I would then turn up and demand (quietly) to have the issue fully explained in laymans terms.

Don't hesitate to let the consultant know his nurse could have settled all this on tyhe phone but chose not to.

It is YOUR issue, it is YOUR body, and asking for a reasonably full explanation of the whole thing is certainly not outside normal expectations.

This is why I 'preach' (I apologise) RESEARCH so that you are fully aware of the questions you need to ask

GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

No cutting or drilling with gamma knife. Id see a second neorologist.
  • Posted

I experienced the same kind of responses from Neurologist office staff and Neurosurgeons. I hate to tell you but that is how most seem to be. They see patients all day treat most people like assembly lines. Don't get discouraged by that. Just be persistent in asking questions as many times as you need to till you feel you have an acceptable answer.

Please do get multiple opinions. i would suggest 3 Neurosurgeons at the minimum. TN is a rare condition and most only have limited knowledge in it. 

I was told that an MRI or MRA may not always show a problem, unless the problem is very obvious. If you have a very small blood vessel touching your TN nerve or if there is no permenant contact meaning there is a blood vessel that is close enough to touch only when it pulsates with variation in blood pressure, those cases may or may not show.  You may need more MRI's. Ask about getting a CT scan with contrast as well.

About Gamma Knife, i would do more research first . I found that it was not going to be a lasting solution for me so i chose MVD instead. You also have to be aware that Gamma Knife Clinics and Neurosurgeons do completely different things. Some Neurosurgeons also do Gamma so i would look for them and talk to them about the pros and cons for your case. I found that when i spoke to a Neurosurgeon who only did surgery, they were against Gamma Knife and when i spoke to the Gamma Knife center's, they tried to convince me of it being the correct solution as opposed to MVD surgery. It absolutely is a business, although it shouldn't be when it comes to human health. Good luck. Feel free to ask anything else.

• Posted

Thanks saaz79347

I have an appointment tomorrow with another neurologist to just try to get some different answers and suggestions. It can't hurt to get a second opinion. I will ask her about a CT with contrast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.