MRI results?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone 

I'm hoping for some clarity I understand it not easy to decifpher MRI results and also that we are all connected up differently, I have had stength issues in my arms and hands for the past 5 years I was made redundant as I was unable to complete my physically demanding climbing job, Recently I am finding I cannot walk very far and find I wobble all over the place.

I have had 3 MRI scans in the last 5 years each one showing a degeneration my last one is as follows :-

Multilevel spondylitic changes dis dehydration and disc heights from C4-5 through 6-7. Prominent changes C5-6 with the circumferential concentric disc osteophyte complex is causing moderate to severe central canal narrowingas well as severe narrowing of the right C6 and mild narrowing of the left C6 exit formina, resulting in the right C6 nerve root compression. PHEW theres more

At C6-7 bilateral foramina narrowing severe on right, which leads to compression on the exiting right C7 nerve. again due to combination of disc osteophyte bar complex and and facet joint changes.

Moderate to severe bilateral C5 formina narrowing and compression of exiting both C5 nerve roots as well as minimal central canal narrowing with, due disc osteophyte

No obviouse myelopathic changes.

Hoping someone can put these into some sort of sense smile I have most of the symptons described on here. But I am finding it harder to function daily.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, From what you have written it sounds remarkably similar to what I was suffering, If you have the time you may want to read my story in this thread https://patient.info/forums/discuss/new-here-recent-mri-done-and-shocked-at-the-results-399926

Rest assured, it will all come clear in the end with a bit of research and attention.

Cheers,

Phil

• Posted

Thanks Phil a compelling read, I am also at the stage of having an op some days I feel so low and depressed it’s the realisation I can’t do what I used to even though I try and suffer the next day for it, my consultant said there is an operation I can have he said it’s very complicated and he won’t do it, he also said I should avoid falling over and bangs to my back, like I go looking for them! so maybe I need a second or third opinion as far as pain relief goes after trying all the pentin family and getting constipated on codeine which sets off my lumber stenosis vicious circle I have found the morphine patch very helpful and assists with a lot of the continuous pains in my shoulders and arms, I don’t know if anyone else has tried the patches? Anyway thanks again for all the info.
  • Posted

Hi nearly50,

I have been suffering the same symptoms since August 2011. It was not until April 2013 that my problems were found to be c/s with spondylosis and myelepathy at c4,5,6 and 7. You are right when you mention the leg problems, mine started about 3 years ago and have progressed steadily until I now find walking very difficult.

I was taking Tramadol for the pain but it never sorted it, then I was put on Gabapentin for the tingling and jerking of my arms and legs.

Now , finally I have good pain control with Naproxen, Gabapentin and Amatrypteline with a 10 microns 24/7 morphine pain patch. The thing to remember is that the cause of the pain is still there and getting worse not better over time. I have tried easing up on the Naproxen and patch but after about 4 days I can feel the horrible pain coming back.

DEPRESSION, up to a point probably most people with severe c/s suffer from depression. My gp could see how bad I had become and booked me in for CBT. After 19 1hour sessions I felt able to control my moods better but have set backs now and again, ask your gp about therapy for your depression. It is a big hit when you go from very fitand active to very weak and unable to do the simplist things, my Neurosurgeon warned me not to put any strain whatever on my neck shoulders or upper body and a simple fall could paralyze me for life.

• Posted

Hi Mike 

thanks for the reply I take exactly the same as you bar the gabapentin, loving the patch I can really notice a difference without it, its woth putting up with the itching. You are right with the moods I find I do bite a bit when I am in pain fortunatley I have a very understanding wife bless her she is worth a million. My Neurosurgeon said more or less the same with the falls makes sense really. I will talk to my GP abot the depression. Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.