Mri results

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi, I'm just wondering how long the wait normally is for results for MRI scan and what the norm is for receiving them; do you get a letter if it's good or bad news or do they ring you sooner if it's bad news? I had the scan 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything but when I came out, they said to phone up the hospital a week later, but when I phoned, they said the final report wasn't ready yet, should I be worried? I was also in the scanner for about 45mins altogether and had to have dye into my arm and buscopan. Any information would be helpful as the wait is making me worry!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, I'm an SHO in Neuro so can answer this one for you!

After having your MRI/CT, a Radiologist will view the findings and type up a report onto the hospital system. (When doctors type in your NHS no, it will bring up all of your details - they click on a 'radiology' section which shows the date and kind of scan you had. Now it either says 'partial' meaning you had the scan but it's not had the final report from the radiologist or 'report available' which is where I'd click it and read the findings if nobody had called/bleeped/emailed me or left a hard copy on my desk.... It's just about remembering to check the results when you've ordered it for the patient).

SO! You've had the scan and they're just waiting for a fully qualified Radiologist to review the findings and report them back to the doctor who ordered them. Usually, if there's something urgent that requires attention, the radiologist would prioritise this report... Then call the consultant's secretary and tell them it's done and the scan findings need to be taken to the consultant (who would then get in touch).

Becauae you have telephoned to ask about the results, the secretary 'should' in theory be checking every day to see if it's been reported on yet. They can print it and take it to the doctor saying you've telephoned and want to know what's happening.

Maybe keep chasing every other day. It shouldn't take long now! Most people are quite understanding if you explain how anxious you are. Try not to worry too much!!

(Sorry for rambling) xx

• Posted

Hi Red

So if we've been given an appt for 5 weeks time would you say there's no need to worry?

• Posted

Hi I went for an MRI scan yesterday, they rang my house phone the same evening and spoke to my mum, they said it was just a courtesy call but wouldn't disclose any information with her. I rang them up today and they said it wasn't normal for the hospital to get in touch after a scan, just wondering if i should be worried? thanks

• Posted

Hi I might not be able to help much but I find them inconsistent Igor mine done 3 Sundays ago got told 10 days phone up for results I'm away to turkey Tuesday so after further calls told 8 weeks then 4 weeks then letter in post so I don't really no what to think.

• Posted

Doctor, Could you help me to understand what this comments mean in MRI Report

"Small focal T2/FLAIR hyperintensity in the right lateral aspect of pontomedullary junction which shows restriction of diffussion"

• Posted

Hi Red, can you tell me.....Im a little worried well I got an Mri angiogram and a Mir scan just last week. My family has a big history of brain aneurysms including my dad so I was sent . Yesterday the hospital phoned me asking me to come in yesterday or today but due to circumstances I couldn't make it in. Anyway they told me to bring someone with me. So 1 I'm freaked out that they said that, 2 I'm like eh they phoned me even though I was told they would send a letter and 3 I was told the scan would take 20 mins but actually took an hour and they injected dye unto me which I wasn't expecting. Does thus mean they have found something? I get results on Friday ...this was my choice for the Friday appointment. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

P.S- don't be fooled into thinking you have to wait for a letter. After the consultant has seen the report (which the secretary can bring to their attention) they usually call you if they know you're anxious or they can give permission for the secretary to read you the results.... Or, the secretary will phone to book you in for a follow-up appointment where the consultant will discuss the results with you face to face.

Hope this helps!! Xx

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! That's very helpful thank you. I had an email from the consultants secretary today saying that the consultant received my report, and has written a letter which I should get very soon! Didn't say anything about my results etc and not willing to tell me anything else which is frustrating!

• Posted

So I have had my mri results today over the phone after ringing up and still not receiving a letter. The secretary said that the mri showed that there are enlarged lymph glands, which I'm not sure what that means really in terms of what's wrong but I am quite worried. Apparently there will be a meeting to discuss in 2 weeks and go from there.. Couldn't tell me exactly where they were either, somewhere in tummy/bowel area.. so not sure what to think really! Think I will make appointment with docs this week to go talk about it.

Jess

• Posted

Hey Jess,

I wouldn't worry too much about yor enlarged lymph nodes... A LOT of different factors can cause them to swell.

Your GP will have a copy of the report so will be able to read it and discuss the findings with you.

Please let me know how you get on- thinking of you x

• Posted

Hi jess i had my mri results through try not to worry mind i was the same i waited nearly 3weeks my family kept saying know news is good news if they thought emergency they wouldve got results quicker hope u ok i was same 40 mins in mri i didnt like atall i'd try phone your consultants secterary you just might get answers .

My results show i have a Benign dermoid cyst which i was happy its not cancerous x

• Posted

Hi,

It's been 2 weeks now but today had an email saying I should be receiving a letter very soon! Don't know anything more about the results though!

• Posted

I'm quite worried now as the doctor at hospital has asked to see a lot sooner than originally planned but said not to worry.. so going in six days rather than weeks, why would they bring it forward? Should I be worried?
  • Posted

Hi very interesting to read this. How did you get on in the end? I've not had much luck getting people to reply to me on this website so far, so if anyone reads this and can reply, I'd be grateful.

I have 2 cysts on my right ovary which were identified at an ultrasound and recently had an MRI scan. This lasted about an hour and a half, and I had to have 2 different types of contrast injected into my arm, the second one was done towards the end. They told me the report would take 5-6 weeks, however the consultant's secretary told me 4 days later that the report was available and had been emailed to her and she would attach it to my notes and try to get hold of the consultant that day. That was last Friday (6 days ago) and I haven't heard a thing since, despite ringing and leaving a message for the secretary.

I am getting very anxious as I just want to know what's going on and no one will tell me. I am considering going to my GP tomorrow to see if they can help find out. I'm 45 and was initially referred - 20 weeks ago I might add -  for a sudden change in my menstrual pattern (very prolonged, heavy periods which made me anaemic). So far I've seen the consultant once and have not had a diagnosis or any treatment.

• Posted

Hi Jean; interesting to read, I hope you are well and your outcome was good. I had almost the same done to me, they came in part way through and gave me a second injection, they also put a second camera on; I knew I was going in to check on a cyst, when I queried it, they said it was to do with how strong the electric current was running around your body, and it depended on where the cameras were situated, to pick up the clearest images; I have to admit it did not fill me with the greatest of confidence and has made me a little anxious, I kind of want my answer tomorrow, but hope it want be to early hoping no news is good news.
    • Posted

Hi Jean, just an update since my last post I've been and had my op; my Dermoid Cyst was bigger than thought and measured 30x14x10cmn weighing just under a stone and a quarter, lucky sounds benign, I get the fininal results back in 2 weeks. I'm hoping this could sort out my epilepsy as I've had uncontrollable epilepsy around my seizures all my life, but time will tell, and also they gave just told me I have a auto immune diffifenciey so after this it will be interesting to see the out come, good luck to everyone with yours, I'm hoping, all my defaults now will lessen lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.