MRI results

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

After I got sick in December from having severe bloody diarrhea and a calproctecin of greater than 6000. Then having a colonoscopy in February which revealed inflammation but they couldn't get to the small bowel so I had a Small bowel MRI done and just seen my consultant for the results. At first the consultant asked me how I was feeling and if I've had any symptoms. I had another calproctecin done which the consultant wasn't aware of which was less than 15. (Within normal range) it stated on the report "result could indicate remission if previously diagnosed with crohns" I gave this report to the consultant who said it was very reassuring and told me my MRI was fine and he thinks i had a severe infection and its not crohns. He also said there's a small percentage that I have crohns as nothing Is 100%. My question is if I'm in remission and have no inflammation as my calproctecin stated wouldn't my MRI be normal? How do people get a diagnosis if someone is in remission? And if in remission can crohns be defected in an MRI?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If in remission it's still most likely detectable from the signs it's left e.g scarring or thickening of the intestinal wall. This is based on me asking my consultant exactly that question.

There's always a but though...mild Crohns can be borderline and it was missed in me for several years before being apparent enough to get a clear (only just!) diagnosis.

How are you feeling? Symptoms improved or gone at the mo? It could be very good news. Matt

• Posted

Hi Matt

My symptoms are mild but i also have IBS and that's wat I was told it probably is but I've always managed to control my symptoms and the stomach cramps I get are like a burning. Gawning pain which I haven't had before. I suppose I just need to get on with it as I did have good news. The consultant said if I had crohns i wouldn't get sick for a week for it to suddenly disappear. Thanks for your advice Matt and I'm sorry to hear it took your yrs to get diagnosed. I've hears that from a lot of people.

• Posted

Always tricky where IBS complicates matters. But it's sound advice that Crohns wouldn't just turn up for a week.

For IBS - checkout the low FODMAP diet. It's very good specifically for IBS.

Good luck with onward health.

Matt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.