MRI results show no damage to knee but suggest I have ‘compression knee’

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

So I am 23 and have had knee issues for over two years now. I played a lot of football 4-5 times a week, 3G pitch and Sunday league. 2 years ago I damaged my left knee and kept playing on it, long story short I went to doctors and had an MRI on my left knee, it showed no damage and had physio. However the pain started appearing in my right knee but worse than before. Again MRI and again, nothing major , little bit of cartilage damage. However, on the results it says I might have ‘compression knee’ - none of the doctors knew what this was and google doesn’t say anything ever. I hope you guys may help.

The pain is a weird pain that’s hard to explain, my knees ache when bent and when I stretch my leg flat the pain goes away for a while, if I excercise the pain is bad and gets a lot worse when sometimes I cannot walk - however I have no swelling at all.

Please some advise would be great - I have been allowed physio again but I am waiting to book a meeting

Thanks

Kieran 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am not a Dr and can't tell you what's wrong but I had a similar problem in my left knee. My knee progressively got worse over about 10 years. Ache and sometimes a stabbing pain. PT made it worse. Injection didn't help. MRI showed fraying of meniscus. Dr did an arthroscope. The meniscus was fine but a ligament was too tight. The Dr snipped the ligament and it has helped a lot. It's been a month since surgery. The ache is gone, just recovery things.

• Posted

Hi Kier, i did a bit of research on this and could it be Lateral Patella Compression Syndrome?  Multitude of self hlep but may need surgery. One important part of recovery is to give up activity that causes pain.  I had my kneecap realigned when I was 20, i am in my 50's now, It was a breakthrough treatment then and i was a guinea pig for it although i was not told that at the time. i now have severe osteoarthritis in my knee, my kneecap is bone on bone, but doing my best to stave off inevitable knee replacement. So if it is this be cautious.. 

• Posted

Thank you for the response, I’ve also done some research on that now. One of the presentation symptoms is ‘pain with sitting for long periods of time’ I get this all the time, in a car, in the cinema. So this may be what I have on both knees - and I guess this won’t show in an MRI

Thanks

Kieran 

• Posted

Do some research on patellofemoral syndrome also. A real thing but not much they can do about it. Clipping the ligament in my knee released the tension that was causing a ridge to form and the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.