Mri results showed multiple growths, Ct scan not helpful. Face is puffy.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everone, I am a 22 year old female who has been ill for a few months. My mri showed mutiple growths on both parotid glands, the biggest was 1.4 cm. I then had a CT scan that only showed one growth.My face and under my jaw is quite puffy and looks like I have a double chin now. My Dr. Sad to say is not familiar with parotid gland growths at all. What should I do? I have read growths should be removed? Any advice is appreciated. I am feeling quite discouraged.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  it is imperitive u see a surgeon who is trainedd in, and highly experienced in parotidectomies, and parotid issues. Best to contact a teaching hospital near you, and talk with the head of the otolaryngology ept. If u are near Mayo in rochester, Mn, dr eric Moore is tops. If u go on the patients forum for parotid tumors, we have a surgeons site page, and u can get a lot of support on our forum too.  Best,  Patricia
  • Posted

Hi,  it is imperitive u see a surgeon who is trainedd in, and highly experienced in parotidectomies, and parotid issues. Best to contact a teaching hospital near you, and talk with the head of the otolaryngology ept. If u are near Mayo in rochester, Mn, dr eric Moore is tops. If u go on the patients forum for parotid tumors, we have a surgeons site page, and u can get a lot of support on our forum too.  Best,  Patricia
  • Posted

Btw, my cat scan only showed a mass, and it was my mri with contrast that showed my parotid tumor!!!  I feel the mri, with contrast shows more.  Patricia
    • Posted

Hi Patricia thank you for your reply and help! I do trust my mri way more than my ct scan but I am feeling stuck now because my doctor is sadly not familiar with this. She said it is probably nothing(just a lymph node) and to recheck in a year..even though she knows I am sick. I am in Canada in a small city and our health care is not great. I am having an ultrasound (at my request) of the parotid glands to see what that test shows. Do you know is ultrasound is more accurate than ct? Also if you don't mind me asking..how large was your growth? I am assuming your surgery went well? I do hope the tumour was benign.
    • Posted

Hi, i would trust your mri, and, ultrasounds can be good. My tumor was 1.5 cms, and b9, thankfully. 
    • Posted

Hi again..my ultrasound showed multiple benign nodules biggest is 1.2 cms but the ct said I had one growth and that is was a lymph node.. should I see an ENT either way? Did you require surgery or a fine needle test?? thanks again for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.