MRI Results -- Torn Ligament = Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been dealing with an ankle sprain since September, and was in a boot for abotu 6 werrks, have been doing PT and finally, my doctor orders an MRI. I had that on Friday, and got the results today.

He walked in with a solemn face and gave me the news: you've got a torn ligament. I had a knee-jerk reaction and cursed, then apologized for my language. It's just that that was literally the last thing I wanted to hear! I've already had surgery on this ankle, I didn't want to have to face that again.

Anyway, he sat down and was like, you've got 2 options, surgery, or wear a brace forever and still have problems...so I cursed again and said, well, surgery is the best option.

So I have an appointment in early January to discuss the nitty gritty details of the surgery and to schedule it.

What really sucks is that I'm an adult now and work so there's no break for me to do this over (last time I did it over summer break -- can you say bummer summer?), so I'm going to miss out on a good ampount of work.

The other thing is, I'm going to have to stay at my parent's house for at least the first week, if not longer so they can help me out because I remember last time I could barely do anything the first 2 weeks.

I'm really upset about this and I actually cried in the waiting room while waiting for my dad to come pick me up from the appointment. I'm 26...I shouldn't be on my 2nd surgery already!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your preaching too the choir. I am going too be on my 3rd. Surgery and I'm only 20 had my first ever surgery as soon as I graduated at 17. I'm starting too question if its even worth it lol smh.

• Posted

What was your first surgery exactly?

We are all young... I’m 30,

I don’t understand why this happens!? Why people usually reinjure the ankle again and again and surgeries again and again...

I think, this shows how much crazy is hurrying in doing the surgery...

By the way what was the name of your first surgery?

• Posted

Not a clue what my first surgery was. I was a teenager so I didn't care. All I cared about was if it was going to fix my ankle or not.

My first surgery lasted a good 9 years, and then I was stupid. I probably could've prevented completely tearing the ligament if I weren't so stubborn, but I am.

• Posted

It’s important to know what has been your first surgery, because it shows what should be done now.

Why you self punish yourself, it is not your fault that these surgeries sucks... I don’t know have you said you could prevent completer tearing the ligament? I would say no, you couldn’t, because a previously opened Ankle will not act like normal ankles. It’s not your fault... Never...

I wonder if to short ATFL after surgery, makes patents ready for more injury by inward sprains.

• Posted

Wow. That sucks. I Spain ed my ankle in January. Getting surgery in 1 week. Peroneal brevis and bromstom repair. What was the surgery you got the first time.
    • Posted

I have absolutely no idea what my first surgery was called. At 16 that's really not what you're worried about lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.