MRI Results UK - how long did you wait?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I had a head MRI 2 weeks ago - and was told the results would be in in 2 weeks - fine - but this wasn't ordered by my doctor - so I have to wait for an appointment with ENT to get my results.... it has been 7 weeks since I first saw them (wait for MRI was 5 weeks) - and I had to wait 8 weeks to get my first appointment with ENT department in the first place! It's funny - they say don't get anxious - but how can you not? Can anyone in UK give me an idea how long they waited? and is it worth me ringing the department to see if they have even got the results yet - even if they can't tell me what they are?!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, we too were told that.

Call the department secretary and ask if the results are back ( they of course are not allowed to tell you the results ) and then tell them you dont have your follow up appointment , it may be like us that they just forgot but definately ring just for your peace of mind and to maybe book your next appointment like they did with us.

Hope all goes well .

• Posted

sorry i should of also said that it depends what category they put you under , it can take upto 3/4 weeks for someone to read your result and report on it .

• Posted

Thanks Monmav,

I will give them a try tomorrow. Have to admit they did give me my last appointment well in advance - but at least I had that! I wouldn't mind if they sent something that was a few weeks in advance -you just get worried you are stuck in the system or forgotten. I did actually have an operation a couple of years ago - and the original paperwork never turned up in the post - so you do wonder! I do know I am classed as non-urgent - but the other side of the coin is this is a test for an acoustic neuroma - rare and slow growing benign brain tumour - so waiting is a tad stressful!

• Posted

totally understand, my daughter has been ill for the last year and keeps getting sent from one consultant to another . I understand about being stuck in the system.

Do give them a ring , i'm sure if anything showed up protocol would be to be in contact with you .

Hope all goes well .

• Posted

Good luck for your daughter Mommav - the NHS are good - just slow and very under pressure! I'm sure we'll get there in the end!

• Posted

Hi Mommav - thanks for your reply the other day - I got an appointment through a bit quicker than I expected - got a letter back saying I have an appointment on Tuesday - which is not long after they would get my result. I did call the ENT department as I wanted to know if the results were in (this was before my post arrived) and receptionist said letter had been posted out and it was 'the first appointment they could give me' - don't know if that's good or bad - and I have to travel to get there! My hubby is coming with me anyway - so I have support if I need it! Hope all goes well with you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.