MRI s in Crohns disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

has anyone had any experience of MRI with Crohn's disease? I 

have been reading of research in Crohns with MRI scans to determine the damage to blood vessels in the bowel. If this can be done surely a pre op scan can tell if it would be necessary  to have an ileostomy? 

My partner is probably going to refuse the resection op as he does not want to risk having a bag at this stage. Also has anyone had to have emergency resection surgery that involved having a bag?

he is still passing normal stools and is not sick or in severe pain, in spite of a 2mm stricture.

thank all of you who have given me info and advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think the scans are to see what's going on, they can show fistula, abscess etc, I don't think it will tell them exactly what to expect.

from what I've been told  bags are used to give bowels a rest, or when there's not enough healthy tissue.

are you sure it's a 2mm stricture? That seems tiny. The mri will show extent of disease too. 

Hope this helps

• Posted

Yes his stricture is that tiny so it's a wonder he's not more sick than he is. He is still functioning quite well so doesn't really want to run the risk of having a bag at this stage. I wondered if he'd had a recent MRI whether it would show the damage to the blood vessels in the section they're planning to reconnect. Thank you for your advice and help. 
    • Posted

Are they planning on another mri?

you can always discuss this at next appt or try (if you're lucky) to speak to IBD nurse.

i have a stricture 15-20cm, which my surgeon said we will leave until we have to remove.

im sorry this is causing you stress and worry and hope he's doing ok

• Posted

Is it not possible to have a temporary bag to give his bowel a rest.? I'm waiting for a capsule camera procedure I have had the dummy capsule but would had the monitored one. Unfortunately I have now Shingles so now another few weeks wait Reason my immune systems been compromised with several illnesses I believe because not getting enough nutrients as in the toilet today just for instance 8 times I'm really fed up as had two endoscopes and only showed scattered derverticular disease. Now I'm angry because they didn't explain the endoscopes don't reach all your small bowel! Also they could have done tests my stools over a year ago and would seen my CALPROTECTIN LEVELS WERE HIGH OVER 600 WHICH INDICATES NOT JUST IBS AND DERVERTICULAR DESEASE BUT STRONGLY INDICATES CHRONES.! Therefore not only a waste NHS money but as a,patient been in pain 18 months hospilised twice and ended up in AE 8 times mostly on.a drip and sent home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.