MRI Scan - bad reaction?

Posted , 34 users are following.

Has anyone suffered a bad reaction following a spinal MRI scan?

I suffered (and am suffering) terrible muscle pain and muscle weakness following an MRI scan one month ago.

My scan was standard (i.e. without a contrast dye being injected into the blood - I know the dye sometimes causes problems) and I have so far found two people who have suffered a similar reaction.

It feels as if the scan has "stirred up" my immune system to produce inflammation in muscle and joints in my right leg and right arm.

I'd be grateful to know if you have any similar experience.

7 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have not heard of this, wat other medications are you on ? If none then it worth check back with hopsital or GP
  • Edited

Ray I had one done a few months ago and I did experience a really sick feeling and very sore joints and muscles for weeks. My dr didn't think it had anything to do with the bone scan with contrast called nuclear bone or MRI scan. The illness I never experienced before or since.

GO FIGURE I think we had some sort of a reaction. Allergy or caused a flare. 

It's definately did seem to be a coincidence in any case.

• Edited

I wonder if you have any tattoos. On some rare occasions the dye in a tattoo can react badly to the magnetic resonance of an MRI . Other than that it may be an even rarer reaction to your particular pigment type. Some pigment types react in a way that causes something like a burn deep in tissues and tendons. Or you may simply be having a bad flare up of your AS..
  • Posted

This is such a bad case. Hope, you'll find cure and be fine soon.
  • Edited

I too experienced muscle weakness as one of many symptoms I receievd after having an MRI or the head (without contrast) 4 months ago. The muscles went very lumpy too. My main symptom is burning pain all over and fragile skin (reddens, welts or bleeds when scrathed or rubbed). My scalp has since bust out in sores which appear to be coming from within. I did have flu-like symptoms for about 2 months (constant sickness, extreme fatigue, etc). I cant find a cause for this either. I would like to know how the MRI (electromagnetic field and radiofrequency) could have done this to my body. My life has been destroyed by it.
    • Edited

Hi belinda

Just wondered if you have recovered after your MRI i had one 2 weeks ago on my head without contrast ..i remember the 1st day i felt really spaced out as if id taken about 20 valium i went steaight to bed n hoped it would be gone in the morning ..but 2 weeks on n i still feel weird ..i feel like ive got lots of inflammation in my head ..in fact im gonna get a blood test c reaction protien it measures how much inflammation is in your body ..im gonna get to the bottom of this somehow n sue then f******* who did this to me ..my life has been ruined too because of this ..i have dizziness every day

• Edited

Hi, I have had reactions after 3 head mri's( over past 3 years, last one being two weeks ago). Increased pressure in my head( top of spine) fees like gravity has increased or a 15 stone invisible person is sat on my shoulders, pressure on my legs , hard to lift. Strange giddy pressure in head.

My walking is clumsy as are hand movements, particularly on my right hand side. I'm off to see a neurologist in two days, ( 2nd one in 3 years)I was supposed to have a full spinal MRI also this week, but postponed it as I'm very worried about further bad reactions, I hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi deanne1 just wondering if you have any improvement from this, best wishes.

• Posted

Hello. How is your success with this? I have similar reaction on the MRI and I would be glad to hear about you.

• Posted

Hi I'm so sorry to read of your experience. I've since set up a support group on Facebook dedicated to MRI injuries. It's called MRI Injuries and Side Effects. Please search it in "groups".

• Edited

Hi, I had a brain MRI scan without contrast 2 days ago. During the first 24 hours I had headache, felt weak and sleepy. Up until now I have a weird metallic taste in my mouth and my urine smells strange. As if those powerful magnets removed some metals in my body that are now been expelled through urine. My personal theory is that MRI exams have a sort of chelation effect and heavy metals accumulated in organs through diet and water (we all have) might get re-distributed onto other places withing the body. This might cause a heavy metal poisoning effect dependng on the organ affected. I know there is no medical evidence for this theory, but t makes sense to me given that metallic compounds will get attracted to the powerul electromagnetic field used with MRI scans. Perhaps you could try some heavy metalas detox protocols that use coriander, chlorella, basil, etc. o get rid of them gradually. 
    • Edited

Interesting theory, especially with your symptoms. Not so little medical evidence actually, as there is plenty of scientific research published that shows that the electromagnitic radiation in MRI can cause temporary destruction of teh blood-brain barrier, which could cause stored mentals to enter the blood stream. Then again those you describe can be symptoms of hormonal changes. I wish you the best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.