MRI scan for claustrophobic patient - how to obtain sedative?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm not sure how to resolve this deadlock between the hospital and GP and would like some advice.

My mother has recently been diagnosed with cancer and requires an MRI scan before treatment. Unfortunately she is extremely claustrophobic and cannot cope with the scan without sedation. The hospital has told her to get it, but has said that they cannot provide it themselves and she needs to get the sedative from her GP. The NHS website appears to confirm this.

The problem is that the GP will not provide it. Not for any medical reasons, they simply say that it is not their responsibility / not normal procedure and that it should be provided by the hospital. The hospital insists it is the GP's responsibility and is normal procedure. Each passes the buck to the other and we have been around this loop several times.

Because of this, my mother has already had one appointment where she bravely tried to complete the scan without a sedative, but inevitably was unable to do so. This scan is vitally important but cannot be done without the sedative everybody says is required but nobody will provide. The situation is causing a lot of additional stress and wasting valuable time.

Does anyone know who should be providing the medication in this situation? And how can I convince them to do so?

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can offer.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Perhaps you could try a private doctor, they are more likely to provide something helpful, but it comes at a higher cost, literally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.