MRI scan for facial pain and numbness

Posted , 2 users are following.

My wife has had facial and mouth pain and numbness for over two years and it is also painful for her to eat. The maxillofacial clinic referred her to a neurologist who after nearly a years wait she had an appointment with ten days ago. She was very thorough and referred her for an urgent MRI scan that she had yesterday with Inhealth group as an NHS patient. The MRI referral said MRI head with contrast and Trigeminal nerve with contrast. 

When she asked how long it would take for the neurologist to get the MRI report back she was told a month. Surely that is excessive? I pointed out that when I went privately for a three part MRI scan of my back and pelvic area my neurosurgeon and I each had the report the next day. That was because you went privately was the response. 

Whether NHS or private there should surely not be such a disparity.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That’s terrible honestly knowing for. Year she’s had this issue . Think that going into emergency would of been faster . Maybe get that mri bring it to the nerology the doctor that is taking care of it . I would , this system in our health care is really bad . But my doctors get them in 3 day to 5 days I live in Ottawa , we’re do live may I ask ? I also had tingling numbness and my life shattered Gillian Barrie syndrome I was paralyzed took doctors at emergency sending me home every day 10 days same dr to . Till ambulance came that was it on life support and all . 1 year hospital . I would go back get that mri bring it in . That’s crazy . Tell your wife to hang in there if u have to as I said go get it bring it in to them and go to emergency . All the stories I’ve been reading on here so sad at times but we’re all here to help each other . God bless her.
    • Posted

We are in South East England. Emergency here is for just that "Emergency" If you go along with a chronic condition they will refer you back to your GP or if you are already on the hospital list tell you to contact your consultants secretary. 

She has been seeing the maxillofacial  consultant for about two years who did not have a diagnosis and had evidently not heard of the problems the Trigeminal nerve can cause if indeed it is that. He kept on fobbing her off with 'burning mouth syndrome' and all the vague things it causes.

• Posted

This is terrible so she has to suffer all this time this is terrible what if she gets worse this is totally unexpected. Then what you can do is get another maxillofacial consultant so she can get better advise and you should call nerology see if they can push up an appointment say it’s getting worse because the longer it could get worse like you said it’s gotten worse . Wow England must be so beautiful there . I was born raised in Ottawa but my parents both originally from Holland Neither lands . Plz keep us updated please give her my blessings .
    • Posted

Not easy to go to another consultant when there is only one hospital in town. When we lived in Edinburgh (Scotland)  they closed the maxillofacial department and moved it to another hospital out of town but it took them over a year to recruit staff for it.

Here the hospital has only had one neurologist plus the odd locum. Evidently the latest one got pregnant and my wife saw a locum who was very efficient.

My only sight of Ottawa was early one morning when we changed busses there when we spent three weeks in Ontario and Quebec travelling by bus and train.

• Posted

Oh nice I’m sorry just know the situation were you live . I’m sure been very stressful for both of you . Sad situation not to get what she needs and make her suffer like that . Even our health. Care system can be terrible for many things as. Well .Hope thing get better and a solution to her issues . Not nice just like me they made me suffer at emergency same doctor till the 10 day I calapsed so I know how it feels to suffer not get answers . I just find it so long for her not fair or right. Hope you find out solution . Plz keep us updated.
    • Posted

I had a relative in Toronto and her husband had all his prostate and cardiac surgery in Naples Florida when they went for three months in the winter. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.