MRI scan of digestive system

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I would like to know if anyone that had a MRI of their stomach knows if this could have shown inflammation in the stomach?

I had my gallbladder taken out over year ago and had chest pain/stomach burning for at least a year. I had a MRI scan to check the bile ducts. Few weeks later,  I start having abdominal pain which my GP told me its gastritis.

I'm really scared it can be bile causing this gastritis and be chronic gastritis instead of acute gastritis. The MRI showed that bile duct was normal but what does it really mean? I still can have inflammation in my stomach and bile reflux even if bile ducts seemed ok? Anyone please that have an opinion I would be interested to read.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi l,m not sure if mri shows gastritus of the stomach, as most seem to have a scope done by gastroenterologist for diagnoses of gastritus. 

l was diagnosed with acid reflux many years ago, put on cimetidine, and also later had gall bladder removed. Even more later, years, l started with nausea, bloating, and scope showed gastritus, and lve never been told lve problems with my bile duct.  If your gastritus is ongoing it is chronic, and sounds like you need to see gastroenterologist, maybe a scope to confirm gastritus or whatever problems you have, There is a thread about Gastritus with a lot of info and advice, if you need it. l was put on omprazole for my gastritus and also changed to smaller plain meals. hope you get further help.

• Posted

Thank you for reply.

My doctor prescribed a PPI too  which I'm taking for a week now but I'm not feeling much better. I still wake up with pain in upper abdomen and after breakfast I have nausea too. I'm avoiding milk because I noticed that makes me feel worse.  I spent all day feeling sick only improving a little in the evenings don't know why! Its the first time I have the symptoms of gastritis but don't know why I got it.

Did you get better after you were put on the PPI and how long it took to heal? 

• Posted

l didnt have much pain, bit of discomfort when bloated, mostly nausea for me, also from waking and throughout the day, went off eating, lived off tea and biscuits, sometimes on a good evening l,d improve a bit and would have a few potatoes, veg ok, chicken or fish, pasta, rice, plain small amounts, l also went off milk, eggs, cheese, ready meals, natural aversion to them, tried ginger helped a bit,  usual chemist stuff didnt help, my nausea would get worse with exertion, total drag, l had to do jobs 5-10min at a time and then sit till it settled again. When l first started with omp l didnt notice any difference for 2-3 weeks, despair, then it did settle, at least 90percent, but wasnt sure how much the ppi or diet change, no lactose, small meals, l had a day last week when it returned, think l,d run out of meds, also use probiotics. Lot of people are against ppi,s side affects. lve been on them 3month now, low dose, but guess its still healing.   Hope your able to get a scope soon, only way to know whats going on, good luck with it settling soon, 
  • Posted

Check for c. Diff
    • Posted

If Brian doesnt get back to you, think its call h pyloria, stomach bacteria bug, they checked me for it when l had scope, negative for me small mercies.
    • Posted

I had a look what it is and I don't think I have that. But thanks anyway for a new suggestion.
    • Posted

Hi

An mri which I had checks bile duct all the organs and can tell if there's tumours in the body I was diagnosed with ibs 12 years ago after having food poisoning for over 2 weeks

I also have a Hutus hernia and that was diagnosed with the endoscopy I think you should go for that it's honestly not painful and lasts for 5 mins max I've had 4 now and dont take sedation but it's your choice if your nervous that would put your mind at rest hope you feel better soon

Kev

• Posted

l, d a feeling it was a different bacteria, poor Leni, he,ll be wishing he,d not asked.  But think most dont have bacteria, more inflammation. l,d also echo that lve had scope with anascetic and without, l guess it is easier with anascetic, but they advice you need someone to drive you home and stay with you, l hadnt so had scope awake, it is a bit uncomfortable feeling, but only lasts few min and over with, ten minutes to feel comfortable enough and your ready to leave. Good luck.
  • Posted

Blimey !

c.difficile ?

Forget it. You would know about it if you got that.

You need to find the cause of your inflammation.

Firstly, you need to get your GP to do a breath test for h.pylori the common stomach bacteria. If you have this there is a Gold Standard eradication therapy.

Failing that - as someone on here has mentioned - You should ask for an Endoscopy. the tube down the throat is unpleasant but necessary to examine the Stomach and Eosophagus for possible problems. It will also show the extent of your Gastritis.

• Posted

Have been suffering for years did not know I had c.diff until I was checked for giardia so don't be such an ass as to dimiss what I have posted . That is your opinion Derick and I respect that, but you should not dismiss anyone's opinion unless you know all the facts!!
    • Posted

No you don't respect an opinion which differs from yours. You are amongst the ranks of those who hide behind on line anonymity to be offensive to those with a different point of view on anything.

I doubt you had c. diff - a life threatening bacterium - for years. And C.diff and Giardia have very little in common with the symptoms rising from Gastritis and H.pylori - the point of this thread. (Other than the fact that they are both bacteria).

• Posted

What makes you an expert on c.diff ? I was wrong you are not an ass you are a poumpas ass!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.