MRI showed a bulging disc pushing on a nerve...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having back pain for YEARS, its gotten steadily worse, and it cost me my job 2 weeks ago.  I finally went to my doctor and told him "look, I have been begging you for an MRI or CT scan on my back for years, and you wouldn't give me one, now its cost me my job, I NEED A MRI"  So he obliged and turns out I have a bulging disc pushing on a nerve, which causes periodic numbness, tingling, jumpy legs, and burning sensations in both legs.  I go see my doctor about going to another doctor about my back.  The doctor said they might recommend steroid injections, is this normal?  How effective are steroid injections? What are the side affects?  What is long term?  Any help is appreciated.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The steroid injections and epidural injection is the next step after the MRI.

A few patients have received some improvement but it is a temporary fix and sometimes does not help the symptoms someone is experiencing. In my case has been over 1 1/2 years. In September had open back surgery, my Neuro surgeon perform Laminectomy and decompress the nerve. 2 months later had 2 epidural injections and my symptoms are worse, times I can barely walk. Now I am sitting waiting to meet a Spine Surgeon to discuss fusion L5-S1 (I am so ready) sciatica nerve pain is unbearable caused by 2 herniated disk compressing on the nerves (pinch nerves) please my recommendation is don’t wait to long be proactive and if you need to.

Change Doctors and get a second or even a third opinion on.

Take care

Ana

• Posted

My problem is, I am indigent, an I am on our healthcare systems primary care insurance.  I cant just change doctors.  I am happy with what I have, as far as insurance goes, but I am kinda stuck.
  • Posted

I have been getting injections for a couple of yrs. now.  Sometimes it helps more than others, I also take a time released gabapentin at night that way I get a good 6 to 7 hrs of sleep.  I wish you luck, they usually recommend physical therapy also.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.