MRI this morning, AVN in non-THR hip, core decompression

Posted , 7 users are following.

The results blindsided son. Sadly, he is taking it out on me. I can handle it - I have lived most of my life already, and he is my only child.

At least he was able to decide to go ahead with this, and we are waiting to hear from the scheduler.

Has anyone had this procedure, where they drill into the femoral head and place an implant, hoping to stimulate circulation and regrowth? 

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello soos2016, I was diagnosed with bilateral AVN, I'm 30 yrs old and the AVN caused OA of both hips, a couple of years back a orthopedic told me if I had found out sooner they could of done that same procedure of decompression by drilling a whole, if he's still at that stage he should definitely give it a shot to save his natural hip,in my opinion a natural hip will outlive a prosthetic hip with the right care.
    • Posted

Hi Antonio! Thanks for sharing your own experience. I'm so sorry you weren't diagnosed sooner. Son just reached the 7 week mark after LTHR. He had pain after gym and found out only after an xray. Except that ortho was not very bright. First, he only ordered an MRI of the right side. Second, he would not do the surgery - said son wouldn't be ready until two years. This one we found for a second opinion took one look at his limp, did some tests and agreed to the surgery. 

Thank you, too for your opinion. As soon as we saw the MRI and surgeon explained it, son asked to go ahead with core decompression. I think his condition is already Stage II. They will not operate on Stage III or IV. I do not know how long this lasts - if it even proves to be effective, that is. The success rate is 60%. The only story I found so far is that a fellow was okay for 5 years after the CD.

Antonio, I see that you've had one hip done - how are you? So you are waiting on the second one? I wish you the best on your journey to recovery. You're right, you are just my son's age. 

• Posted

Hi, My son is 12 and just diagnosed with AVN in his left hip. He will probably have core decompression in the next few weeks. How was your sons experience with having core decompression?
    • Posted

Kristie I am so sorry - I thought my son at age 30 is younger than most forum, but your son is so very young my heart aches for both of you.

My son decided not to have the core decompression & instead hopes to have RTHR ASAP. Everyone is different - as far as which procedure they choose, the reasons & the recovery.

That said, Kristie, I would be happy to tell you his reasons if you'd like to know.

Wishing you the best.

Aloha, Suzanne Kristie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.