MRI tomorrow - is it gonna hurt?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I've got an MRI booked tomorrow evening for full spine and "pelvis SIJ both" (what does that mean??

I'm worried because I can't lay on my back on something flat for long before I get excruciating pain - will this hurt like that? I have no idea what SIJ means - will it mean contrasting though? Just want to prepare!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi had this done about a month again and suffer the same issues. That scan is going be about 45mins long. I be honest I dreaded every second where I was in so much pain. I would ask to have some sort of support you can get. It not painfull anything they do it just your joint what hurt good luckĀ 
  • Posted

Agree, hips and 45 min.  It should be done with and without contrast?  I think they always are?  Guess I'm not positive about that.  You have to lay on your back for the whole time, perfectly still. Any movement distorts the pictures.  It will be hard to do if that hurts!  Maybe they allow a small support under your knees?  Ask.  Do they suspect AS?  It's a good test, although not 100% (nothing is, as you probably know).  It's an important test though.  If you can possibly gut it out, it will be helpful in your quest for answers.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hips and spine together will take 45 min in total? Not TOO bad. Ok, I wasnt too sure, I had an MRI for my ankle 5 years ago without contrast. Yeah I know, thats what i'm going to find difficult. I can't really sit still for long; I have anxiety and possible ASD so i'm reeally nervous. Hopefully they will. They did bloods which tested for inflammation etc and as usual i had slightly elevated inflammation (unlocated) with the HLA-B27 gene. After research I raised concerns due to the symptoms I get and the HLA-B27 so i think theyre doing the imaging to confirm it maybe. Thanks!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.