Mrs

Posted , 6 users are following.

19 year old daughter, just had retest TSH 6.9, T4 13.7 ( TSH higher than 6 months ago).  Has had health issues for about 4 yrs, acne, clinical depression ( blamed on the acne) poor sleep, concentration, thinning hair. Generally struggling. Concerned because she’s just been told it will be retested in a year. What should she do? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You could try a thyroid support supplement. I prefer "1 Body Thyroid Support"  because it has all the balanced nutrients to support the thyroid including iodine (selenium and zinc for T4 to T3 conversion) plus a small amount of copper to balance the zinc and active B12 for mood and energy.  My terrible cystic acne was related to food intolerances and insulin resistance which is not a problem as long as I'm diligent with my diet.  I also feel better mood-wise on a low glycemic diet.

• Posted

I don’t know what was wrong with this program earlier that it printed such a ridiculous response. I’m horrified.. Here’s what I was trying to say...

Your daughter’s TSH and symptoms indicate hupypothyroid disease. You can treat this holistically with diet changes, supplements and cleansing, to see if she can get by without thyroid medication.

Her other choices are to use an OTC called ThyroGold, which is a natural dessicated thyroid supplement. My experience is that this is a lot better product than the prescriptions because it’s closer to human thyroxin.

She can also see an endocrinologist for a second opinion, and get prescription medications. I feel this is a last resort, as the prescription meds are not bio identical and have many side effects.

Do read through the many posts on this site and feel free to ask more questions.

• Posted

She needs to find out what is out of balance in her body nutritionally. Her body is screaming loud and clear she is missing something or more than one nutrient that is causing her body chemistry to be out of balance. Everything in our bodies is interconnected nothing operates in isolation. I can't help cause I do not have the knowledge to be able to help and I know young people's bodies are changing a lot, but the advice you are getting sends up red flags for me. I hope someone will help you. I find people on this site as generous. God Bless you and your daughter.

• Posted

Some refer this as "subclinical hypothyroidism".  Some doctors will treat now, but most will not.  Especially in children and teens where the TSH is naturally higher at this time.  Is your daughter on birth control?  This will affect blood work too.  Perhaps you should ask your doctor why he has decided to not treat?  Or just get a second opinion from an endocrinologist..

• Posted

Hi again , and thank you all who have responded and given us a lot more to look into and read up on. So today she went back to her GP and was told her antibodies are attacking her thyroid, and told to come back in 2 months to be retested again . A bit relieved it’s two months instead of a year ( but can’t understand why she was told a year initially!) agsin, thanks for your replies. I’ve learned a lot today😀

• Posted

Hi Mairi,

one small correction, a big one actually, it’s the immune system attacking the thyroid. The antibodies are the result. There is a lot you can try in order to get the immune system to behave, going gluten-free is one. Others here have more expertise and will no doubt share it.

• Posted

Please don’t add these random comments like go gluten free or you can just treat over the counter without physician involvement. I was hypothyroid my whole life growing up but because I was in such s healthy environment, food, supplements, physicians did not take my complaints seriously. People just say ‘you look healthy’. That was until my thyroid completely crashed. So please research and make decisions based on data specific to your daughter. I have made lots of changes but remain on a custom T3/t4 extended release supplement. I am also grain free. This was not a random choice. I had a food sensitivity blood test performed showing that I react to wheat and oats, and a little bit to corn. I’m making choices based on my body. Get data to know what is actually impacting your daughter and make decisions based on that. When thyroid is low often Vit D is also. Have these tested!!! Don’t guess. I test serum ferritin to test my iron ( this is more accurate than RBC/ Hgb level). Test and monitor response to supplements. We all have different needs and absorb nutrients differently. What you find will help your daughter long term and is absolutely worth it!
    • Posted

I completely agree with you!  But.. I think you replied to wrong person?  Mairi didn't say anything about this?  Not sure though...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.