Mrs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have very bad asthma and I was advised to apply for pip I do work but have had a lot of time off due to my illness I just need to ask would I be untitled to pip or not 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Agnes,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. If you google PIP descriptors then you'll be able to see a list of all the points that can be scored. There's also a PIP self test online that you can complete. Bear in mind that this will only be a guide. You'll need lots of evidence to successfully claim PIP.

Even though i said that PIP isn't about a diagnosis and all conditions affect people differently but asthma is usually quite controlled with the right inhalers. I've never heard of anyone claiming PIP for asthma alone. Have you been to your GP about the issues you're having? This might be a good place to start, if you haven't already.

People do successfully claim PIP and work as long as the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming PIP.

No one here can tell you if you would be able to claim it or not. The PIP descriptors need to apply to you for you to be able to score those points. You need at least 8 points for Standard and 12 for Enhanced. There's 2 parts Daily Living and mobility. There's plenty of info available online but links can't be posted here.

If you do decide to start a claim you'll need to ring the PIP helpline. They will then send you a form, just like a book to fill in and return, along with all of your evidence. They very rarely contact anyone for evidence, so don't assume they will do that. You'll then have to attend a face 2 face assessment and you'll be asked how your condition affects you daily based on those descriptors. 2-8 weeks after that a decision will be made.

Claim times vary depending on where in the country you are and the backlog in your area.

Do you have any other conditions other than asthma?

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply to me my asthma is not controlled well as my allergies are that bad I've been hospitalised the past month my breathing is poor and it's difficult to get a breath some days I also have athriotis in my hands and legs I have a few more health issues but asthma is my worst I have been for the pip interview and it was a nurse who was really nice but obviously won't know the outcome for a few weeks my doctor did tell me that I will be getting injections now every 2 weeks for my asthma and allergies for the rest of my life so as you can tell my whole emune system is down 

• Posted

Hi,

As you've had your assessment, 4-5 days later you can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with that report. It's also very helpful to have if you're refused and have to go down the Mandatory reconsideration route.

Did you send in evidence to support your claim?

• Posted

hi I have asthma I had it since childhood in fact I was on a course of injections years ago but they were taken off the market because of people having bad effects , I never did I found them to help my allergies greatly and my asthma ... Ive changed my inhalers that many times this year plus given tablet which I had to stop as I was going dizzy  I would be grateful if you could let me know if the injections work when you get them and what there called as they may different to ones I had years ago
  • Posted

Hi Agnes I was awarded DLA indefinitely high on motability 20 plus years ago, I have severe refractory eosinophilic asthma I couldn’t work for 7 years and gradually returned to work, it was increased to indefinite while I was working. I’m awaiting my DLA to PIP invite. 

I get occupational asthma, industrial injuries award,  as mine was caused by my job, at my last review last year was that was also awarded for life at 60% disability I was told by the ATOS person doing the medical that I was only the 2nd ever female he had seen for occupational asthma in 6 years.

I have now acquired 13 other medical conditions but never requested a review on the living component as I didn’t want to lose the car which I need to be able to work. 

I’ve had 5 admissions in the last 11mths for severe asthma attacks and am now having occupational health involvement so foresee I may be medically retired if I carry on as I have this last year.

As Denise says however it’s how the condition affects you not the condition itself that is assessed. 

Send in prescription lists ( I have 33 medications now on mine) hospital admission paperwork, consultants letters/reports. Do a diary, if work have referred you to occupational health keep any reports they have also done.  Good luck x 

• Posted

I totally understand where your at with your asthma I'm just our hospital yet again with my breathing it's so hard every day is a struggle my immune system is totally gone I need an nebuliser and injections every 2 weeks for the rest of my life just to breath I have been for interview with pip and she was very sympathetic but just need to wait a few weeks I was advised to go for pip due to ill health as I do work with a struggle I may add lol as I don't know anything about extra help but thanks for replying to me it was most helpful x

• Posted

You’re welcome Agnes, not many people realise how severe asthma can become, I have a nebuliser too and after the last admission they added another medication to use via it so it now takes an hour to use every time, what injection are you having? I used to have steroid injections regularly but due to osteoporosis and osteoarthritis I was taken off it after a few years. I’m waiting to start Mepolizumab after the PCT gave clearance for me to have it, but this one I have to go to the hospital every 4 weeks to have as it cannot be given by the GP. 

Like you work is a struggle but I’m stubborn and will continue as long as I can.

My only gripe is they have called it Personal Independence payment supposedly to help disabled people be more independent and yet if you are working and trying to be independent you are penalised.

Fingers crossed for you. I’m still waiting for my invite to swop over from DLA to PIP - I’m in no hurry to see it arrive though !  

• Posted

Hi the injections ate about 4 years old doctors don't give them yet only hospital they help a lot you should ask your asthma nurse they help me a lot they took me off them last November as I trial and I was hospalitised 3 times so went back on them just 2 weeks ago so hopefully I'll feel better soon it's horrible not been able to breathe but you seem to be worse so sorry for you pip is just a helping hand as I've cut my working hours down a lot I also gave other health problems like arthritis in hands and knees pain every day just getting old lol thanks for your replying it's helped me know the rights and wrongs and I know there are worse people than myself

• Posted

What is the name of the injection Agnes? Mine isn’t allergic asthma it’s my white cells attacking my lungs causing the inflammation so the Mepolizumab injection which has been out for a couple of years deals with my type of asthma, but at £1000 an injection it needs PCT approval. There are a few drugs out now via injection I’ve trialled a couple but they didn’t help, I have the lazer trial machine in my bedroom but after 5 admissions in 10mths it’s not helped either but it’s aimed more for allergic asthma so not surprising but they thought it worth a shot. I’m under a great respiratory team and the research team at our hospital who are at the front line of asthma treatment and research so I’m lucky to have them xx

• Posted

It's a new drug from America can't remember the name sorry but your clinic will know I get 4 injections every 2 weeks and it takes a lot of grief away from me it's amazing the difference altho it's not a cure it helps me breath more easyI'm up at hospital Tuesday again will have to get a leaflet from them

• Posted

Hi, Agnes,

I am replying to your question above and yes it is definitely worth applying for PIP, I would definitely phone the PIP claim number (DWP), and they will go through  a telephone assessment with you asking you the usual questions about you the name of your GP and your national insurance number etc, then they will text you to say they will be sending you out the PIP claim form to you then you fill it out with all your health issues surrounding your Asthma etc, then you will have to supply photocopies of any Medical Evidence and letters etc, to send off with it to back your PIP claim and then when they receive the form and medical evidence there end, they will text you to say they have, then they will send you a letter out to say that you will be required to go to a Face to face consultation at your local (Atos) health assessment building in your area.  Good luck, I have just had my face to face pip assessment on the 24 april in Bristol, and I had the most understanding caring and sympathetic assessor you could ever want, she even let me see what she was writing on her computer with my personal detail questions that I had answered and was sent back to the dwp, then they electronically send it to the assessors, and the assessor I had she picked out a few questions that I answered regarding my Depression and Anxiety (I have given up work because I couldn't cope in work with it, not that I didn't enjoy the job because I loved it), she entered all the words and sentences truthfully about what triggered my depressions and my medication that I am taking, and the fact that I had a really bad relapse of it just before Christmas my husband has Multiple sclerosis my daughter has had bullying issues in her old school (secondary), and I lost my mother 3 years this October so u could say that everything has hit me all at once.  But let me know how you get on with applying for PIP, this Benefit you can claim whilst you are still employed, it is a back up benefit if you are not getting Statutory sick pay from your Company of work, might be worth looking into that to most companies should have a company sickpay scheme, and depending on how long you have been with that firm, the hours you work and what National insurance contributions you have paid and what the company pays towards to.  If you have children of young upto 16 years you may also be entitled to Working tax credits and child tax credits to and Child benefit which is a benefit you get paid when you have just had a baby and you can claim that upto there 16 years of age.

• Posted

Hi,

Agnes has already applied for PIP and had her face 2 face assessment, she stated this in one of her replies above. She is now waiting for her decision.

Child benefit/tax credit can be claimed up to the age of 20 as long as they're in full time non advanced education.

Were you successful with your PIP claim, or are you waiting for the decision? If you're waiting for the decision you can ring DWP and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly good with the report.

• Posted

That for your help and I did go for appointment the doctor was very good I just have to wait and see as I know there are worse people out there than myself, I just feel I'm getting weaker every day but I do go to work just cut my hours I have depression, as well as other health issues, I just have to get on with life as difficult as it is some days ,, thanks again

• Posted

Hi Agnes,  hope you are successful in your wait for claiming pip, I know you said there are worse people out there than you, and there are worse people out there as far as I am concerned, but in this day and age, if you can claim benefits other than the usual ones we all get, then go for it and Claim what is rightfully yours to claim, because I look at this way, if you have paid your national insurance stamp then you should not be discriminated against claiming a benefit that would help you financially as extra money for yourself.  That is how I look at it.  My husband was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis over 16 months ago (july 2016).  He applied for PIP and went for his face to face assessment and within 7 days of his appointment had a letter back from the DWP giving him the decision and his brief report of his assessment (which the wording they stated was incorrect and as he was so appauld at this and caused him stress he didn't persue it to the next level by applying for  mandatory re-assessment.  But with my assessment I had such a lovely lady who wrote down all the correct facts surrounding my illness of Depression and anxiety, and she added more extra wording to help with my claim, and I have also rang the DWP for a copy of my Assessment report to, and that on the 8 may 2018 my report from the assessor in Bristol was audited and sent over to the DWP which takes about 2 - 3 days to reach them either electronically or by post, and I had extra evidence which I took along with me on the day of my assessment and they have sent that off to the DWP to, to be attached to the other evidence which was sent by me with my pip form from previous claim back in 2011/2012 for ESA, and that claim went to a tribunal and I won that and had a letter back from the tribunal department which one of the panel was a registered Doctor, awarded me ESA and I still have the letter to prove it so I sent that aswell to the dwp, and with the assessors report will hopefully go in my favour. Just waiting now 2 - 3 weeks after the dwp have received the assessment notes then they will notify me by text then they will notify me in writing with the decision finger's crossed that with all the evidence that I have provided they will see that they cannot refuse the claim, because it is there in black and white, But as far as my husband's claim was concerned things were not very good, as the DWP Assessor  and the DWP decision maker's were just turning people down without really looking into the individual's claim, but now things have changed a bit where the DWP PIP assessor's have now got to do everything properly.....good luck with your claim agnes yours pippa

• Posted

Hi Denise,

As I replied to you previously that I am now awaiting a decision on my PIP claim, and I did do what you suggested last week, I rang the DWP for  a copy of the assessment report last Tuesday 8 may, and they put a note on my file their end for a copy to be sent to me shortly, and I also checked with the Assessment department that had my report been sent over to the DWP and they said yes it had, so I am now just waiting for that to come thank you anyway you have been a great help thank you denise, yours truly  pippa

• Posted

Hi,

Good luck with this Phillipa. I'm not sure where you got the statement from that the assessors have to do everything properly? If this was true than everyone that applied and had all the evidence to prove those descriptors apply to them would be awarded PIP. Unfortunately this isn't the case and the assessors continue to lie through their teeth. I hope for you that your HCP was true to her word and nothing was changed during the audit either. There's some dishonest people out there and those that seem nice, really do stab people in the back.

Also for those that have paid their National Insurance it makes no difference for PIP because you can claim this whether you've paid it or not.

• Posted

Hi, Denise,  I am just informing you that I have genuine information on what the assessors do after they assess you at the Face to Face consultation, the proper procedure is as follows:

The Health Care Professional legally has to send the information that they enter onto the computer system gets audited and then it is sent back to the DWP Assessors department, then I get notified by post from the DWP about my PIP assessment appointment and the report I have also requested over the telephone to the relevant phone number for PIP and they entered on the system that I want a copy of the Assessment notes which I am legally entitled to, I had trust in this HCP assessor and she would lie to me as I watched her write answers relevant to my  condition on her computer (depression and anxiety) and legally the DWP cannot change a legal binding report on a computer.

thanks for replying back to me yours phillipa

• Posted

Not exactly true, i'm afraid. Not all assessment reports are sent for audit. They are in fact chosen at complete random. Some are sent for audit, whilst others are not. If they are sent for audit then they can and do change the reports, if what is written doesn't match up with the evidence given. It's the auditors that would change the reports at this stage and would have nothing to do with DWP at all.

The DWP don't have an assessors department. They have health care assessment providers that work outside of the DWP to do the face to face assessment and look at all the evidence sent with the claim forms.

Once your file has been sent to the assessment providers it's nothing to do with DWP until that file is returned to them after the assessment. Once the file is back with the DWP it's then nothing to do with the assessment providers.

I never said you couldn't have a copy of the report, you can but it doesn't mean they will agree to send it before a decision is made. Sometimes they won't send it until after that decision is made.

You'll be amazed at the amount of assessment providers that lie through their teeth. What you seen that day, doesn't mean that was the full report.

You really do need to wait for the decision before getting hopeful, is all i'm saying. Mostly they go with the report but they can award extra points and take them away but it rarely happens.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.