mrs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with type two diabetes for 1980, recently my glucose readings have been been getting higher and my metformin has been increased . I have always struggled with the diet. any help available

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What kind of diet are you on now?

Of course it often happens that your conditions change over time.

I was first diagnosed type2 just early this year, and it was horrible at first, but I've had good luck with just some metformin and diet, even with 60+ carbs per meal.

I make certain to include a good protein, of course limit straight carbs like whole wheat bread and brown rice (and almost none of the white stuff).

But I include a small amount of fruit, a small apple or a cup of watermelon - and sprinkle cinnamon on it. I did that just for taste at first, but found that the cinnamon was seriously helping my BG numbers.

Also, look into "resistant starch". Again, someone gave me some of these little cups of rice pudding - and even though they contain some sugar, I found they did not raise my BG numbers, and in fact seemed to help lower my BG numbers! I usually throw a little cinnamon on those, too, btw, and some store-bought varieties already include cinnamon. Rice - and also pasta - that is cooked and then refrigerated turns into "resistant starch" which not only seems to not make your BG go up, but again seems to facilitate processing everything else you've eaten, too.

Anyway these are seriously easy to try, and then you'll know.

• Posted

I am getting better with the diet and my numbers are getting lower with help of Metformin of course. what is this about cinnomon.

• Posted

What kind of diet are you on now?

Of course it often happens that your conditions change over time.

I was first diagnosed type2 just early this year, and it was horrible at first, but I've had good luck with just some metformin and diet, even with 60+ carbs per meal.

I make certain to include a good protein, of course limit straight carbs like whole wheat bread and brown rice (and almost none of the white stuff).

But I include a small amount of fruit, a small apple or a cup of watermelon - and sprinkle cinnamon on it. I did that just for taste at first, but found that the cinnamon was seriously helping my BG numbers.

Also, look into "resistant starch". Again, someone gave me some of these little cups of rice pudding - and even though they contain some sugar, I found they did not raise my BG numbers, and in fact seemed to help lower my BG numbers! I usually throw a little cinnamon on those, too, btw, and some store-bought varieties already include cinnamon. Rice - and also pasta - that is cooked and then refrigerated turns into "resistant starch" which not only seems to not make your BG go up, but again seems to facilitate processing everything else you've eaten, too.

Anyway these are seriously easy to try, and then you'll know.

• Posted

It's hard to stick to a diet when you hear so many conflicting things. I agree with the above advice; I've heard many good things about cinnamon. Did you know that your brain only knows when something is sweet? It can't tell if that sweet is from sucrose, fructose, etc. So even "safe" sweeteners can raise your blood sugar. Fruit can be as much a culprit as a candy bar. Some fruits are high in sugar, and, so, they're bad. I'm not sure where you live. If you're in the United States, try this tip: Only eat fruit when it's in season. And try to limit fruit during fall and winter.

• Posted

Of course most everyone agrees on the basics of diet- COUNT YOUR CARBS and don't go above some modest number per meal. That right there is enough to help a lot of people. The modest number might be relatively high, too - mine sure was, when it was first set by the endocrinologist, but it seems he was right, 60-75 per meal was just fine and my BG is back under even pre-diabetic levels. With the help of a little metformin! And actually I can "cheat" a bit and still squeak by. I'm very lucky! But it does show, not everyone needs to go super-low or ketogenic. And sometimes I do go lower, like 30-50 per meal, it's not like that hurts!

And of course, be sure that diet is even the problem. You have to make sure to get your exercise! Exercise helps your BG today, not in six months. Doctors tend not to emphasize this. And really, it's very modest exercise, walking a mile or two a couple of times a day, and a few pushups or resistance (weight) work, NOT A LOT, because heavy exercise wakes up the liver and starts raising your BG again.

Strangely, whole fruit is said to have a higher glycemic index, so even though it has sugar it takes your digestion minutes or hours to get to it, and that's a lot more tolerable than a candy bar. Yet fruit juice is considered bad, even from the same fruit! However, and here's where it gets odd, if you put the cinnamon on the fruit, that may be the way to get the most benefit from the cinnamon and the fruit. There are some reasons this might work out, in any case, it sure seems to be working for me.

• Posted

I am in the South-West of England. It is an inherited condition for me ,my half sister had it as my sister and brother. My half brother did not live long enough to see if he developed it . Mother's siblings all were type 2,three of them like my mother where double amputees.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.