Mrs

Posted , 7 users are following.

i received a letter to say i am to be shielded because i have bronchiectasis from my gp because of covid19. only to get a letter 2 days later to say they have made a mistake. because i have not had enough steriods. confused. any advice im on antibiotics on repeat and steriods for flare ups

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It's not good for you to be on steroids right now because steroids lower your immune system. I would call your doctor because if you have bronchiectasis you should be shield, and I would ask your Doctor about you being on steroids right now. Are you seeing a Pulmonologist ?

• Posted

i took the steriods 2 days ago becsuse i know myself when my breath starts rasping i need to take them starting to feel much better now. im under a respiratory nurse at the momment and consultant. had hib vac but no response to higher my antibodies? gonna ring docs Monday as i work with children for key workers but am off at moment. just scary for all at moment

• Posted

I would get a second opinion. As long as you are self isolating and not in contact with anyone who is going to work or mixing with other people it should be fine to take steroids.

It really does depend on your personal circumstances. I have been in isolation for 5 weeks now with my son he only pops to the shop periodically then showers as soon as he gets through the door. I also don't touch any mail or parcels my son opens them then thoroughly washes his hands after.

Take care

Rachel

• Posted

I havent really got any advise for you sorry? i have Bronchectasis and Iscaemic heart disease as well as a partial lung collapse yet still havent receieved a letter, i am self isolating anyway for my own good as i feel a letter isnt going to change anything.

Keep well

• Posted

I have mild bronchiectasis and asthma. I have repeated chest infections which require antibiotics and steroids. I have an emergency supply for flareups.

I was expecting a letter, but never received one. GP surgery said there was conflicting information regarding bronchiectas. It was originally viewed as being the same as COPD ( dont know by whom) but now been 'downgraded'!

I have not been out for the last fortnight and will continue to do the same.

• Posted

The real key to all your questions lies in the work you're doing, i.e., working with children of essential workers. You are subjecting yourself to all sorts of stuff every day, all day, that you do that. First, no telling what those parents are bringing home to their families. 2nd, how many people in each kid's house, and how many people do they go around every day? 3d, if those kids get sick the virus looks like a cold or allergies. Might never look worse in them but it can still be the virus that you get that kills you -- or just makes your lungs 10 times worse. I do not understand why anyone with BX would do such a thing.

Remember all those old ads from the '90s about AIDS? The ones that show a couple in bed, then the camera slowly widens out to show other folks they've slept with, plus the folks those people slept with. Well, guess what?

COVID-19 is worse. AIDS only spread thru sex and blood, maybe a bit through saliva. IT COULD never SPREAD THROUGH THE MIST OF A COUGH. YOU COULDN'T GET IT FROM AN INVISIBLE SPECK ON THE TIP OF A FINGER WHICH YOU RUBBED ON YOUR NOSE.

The letters y'all get or don't get in the UK mean nothing when you keep going around a bunch of strangers' kids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.